Are all fats equal?

Options
viren19890
viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
Hello,

So far I've learned (by experimentation) that basically all carbs are equal in weight loss. Eating a sweet potato versus a regular potato -if eaten in similar caloric levels would have bring same effect.

I'm just wondering- are all fats equal truly ? science backed?
fat from dressings and fat from omegas , fat from milk and fat from lamb fat, fat from McDonalds fries vs coconut oil- all equal?

None of them harm if eaten according to caloric balance right?

What about fat = cholesterol theories still thrown around? even by some doctors.

Eat low fat if you want your heart of be healthy or eat "good" fat if you want good health??

I follow LCHF for 4 days -so I'm pretty sold on it but still bombarded by all that low fat =good healthy heart I keep doubting this.

Replies

• karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've actually found for myself that not all carbs are created equal. I will feel tons better and weight wise fare better eating carbs from a potato rather than a 100 calorie pack of cookies lacking in nutrition. Also, vegetable oils (barring vegetable and avocado) seem to have a more negative effect on my cholesterol and liver function tests. When I cut that out, my blood tests improved. So, maybe people react differently, but for me, it does make a difference.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    No, not all fats are equal. Not all carbs are equal. And not all protein sources are equal.

You want a simple experiment? See how much MCT oil you can eat at once and observe the effects. :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    No, not all fats are equal. Not all carbs are equal. And not all protein sources are equal.

You want a simple experiment? See how much MCT oil you can eat at once and observe the effects. :)

This.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

This.

I don't know that I'd recommend that myself.
    Unless you're right next to a toilet for the rest of the day.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    RowdysLady wrote: »

This.

I don't know that I'd recommend that myself.
    Unless you're right next to a toilet for the rest of the day.

Yeah, probably a good "cleansing" effect.

But also a thermogenic effect.

And a significant appetite effect.

Fascinating stuff, fat is. Different effects depending on chain lengths, number of double bonds, positions of bonds, and even cis vs trans isomers.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What about fat = cholesterol theories still thrown around? even by some doctors.

Eat low fat if you want your heart of be healthy or eat "good" fat if you want good health??

Both of these "low fat for heart health" things are based on what's known as "the lipid hypothesis." The lipid hypothesis was based on the supposed observation that people who ate more fat had higher cholesterol, and people with higher cholesterol were more likely to have a heart attack.

Neither of those assumptions actually bear out with the facts (like the fact that half of people admitted for heart attacks have low to "optimal" cholesterol).

Dr. Peter Attia has actually gone into this subject a lot more, so I'm not going to try to repeat it here. Instead, I encourage you to check out his "Straight Dope On Cholesterol" series. It's a bit long and academic, but fantastic for understanding the role of cholesterol in the body, as well as the role of fats as they relate to serum cholesterol.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

I also recommend watching his talk on the history of the US dietary recommendations, it's less academic/sciencey in nature than the blog series, as it's a bit more political, and it's an hour well spent:

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not all fats are equal. Some fatty foods like salmon, mackerel (holy vitamin D batman), marbled rib eye or avocados also provide a boost in Vitamin A, C or D, fiber, potassium and other minerals. You'll feel better eating one type of fatty food vs eating straight out of a coconut oil jar ;)

Too much fat from dairy products and you may hit your daily fat goals but find yourself constipated.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf oh wow! thanks a lot.

Would you say general day to day basis a person should be really take out time to focus on where the fat is coming from?

For example most of my fat comes from flax seed 1 tbsp, coconut oil, cottage cheese, yogurt, avocado, cheese slice, almonds, walnuts.

My ultimate goal is do be able to maintain my weight without the need of this app. So being a vegetarian no meat/eggs/seafood - should I be too concerned with tracking my fat sources for optimal health?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    @Dragonwolf oh wow! thanks a lot.

Would you say general day to day basis a person should be really take out time to focus on where the fat is coming from?

For example most of my fat comes from flax seed 1 tbsp, coconut oil, cottage cheese, yogurt, avocado, cheese slice, almonds, walnuts.

My ultimate goal is do be able to maintain my weight without the need of this app. So being a vegetarian no meat/eggs/seafood - should I be too concerned with tracking my fat sources for optimal health?

It might be worth spot-checking every so often, but I think once you get into the groove, you can still put it on auto-pilot. The dairy gets you the palmetic acid and some oleic acid, while the avocado gets you the oleic acid, which are the big fats in the body. With those and the coconut oil as your primary fats, you should be at least 90% there. The one thing I'd watch is the almonds. They're a heavy Omega-6 nut, so it's easy for that to throw off the balance. If you're just eating a handful a few times a week, that's different, but if it's a major staple (like almond milk, etc), it might be worth checking out alternatives, such as macadamia, coconut (in the case of milks), or just favoring the walnuts more.

One other thing I would note, too, is that although the flax and dairy gets you a fair bit of Omega-3s, it's of the ALA and DHA varieties. While the body can convert ALA to EPA, the conversion rate sucks. You're best off getting pre-formed EPA, especially. There is algae that contains it, so that might be worth looking into. Otherwise, you're stuck with marine seafood for the best bang for your buck. If you want to do whole food sources, and/or can't get your hands on the algae, it might be worthwhile to look into mollusks/bivalves (yes, even as a vegetarian; there are some pretty strong arguments regarding veg*ns and bivalve consumption and why even some otherwise-vegans consume them). A couple of servings a week gets you EPA, Vitamin D, and B12 in spades, as well as a host of other nutrients that can help round out your otherwise vegetarian diet.