MCT oil, Anyone?

Options
KetoLady86
KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
Just received my first bottle. Does anyone have any experience with it? If so, can you please share? Thanks dolls!!!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it myself but I have seen people put it on top of salad as a dressing.

But I heard to start small because apparently it can clean you out.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    Thanks! Thats good to know..lol
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1-2 times per week I put some in my coffee - there is some discussion that it boosts fat burning. You can use it in salad dressings - it is tasteless so I have just taken a spoonful as well (to boost my calories and fat macros).
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    Have you noticed any difference since taking it?
  • diabdiane
    diabdiane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    can you please let me know what MCT oil is? It sounds intriguing, but I just don't know what exactly it is? Thanks!!.,
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with sunny bunny - I use both coconut and mct oil. In my case I would say MCT oil does not make a difference for weight loss. I fast most days thru breakfast and lunch (eating window is 7 - 11pm). I use MCT in my coffee on days when I am just too hungry or sluggish to deal - that is just occasionally. It's 135 calories per TBSP and all fat. Some IF post indicate that does not break your fast but others say food/calories whatever (even a TBSP of MCT oil) does break the fast. I just look at calories and macros,
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't know about boosting weight loss or anything, but I've started using the Carrington farms oil to make homemade mayo. That stuff is amazing! I'll never buy soybean oil (or any other oil) mayo again.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    I need to try to make my own mayo. Im not a fan of mayo, but maybe that could change If I make it
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    I need to try to make my own mayo. Im not a fan of mayo, but maybe that could change If I make it

@KetoLady86 - Easiest mayo recipe I've found: MAYO!

At first, I added a teensy bit of stevia, and I still do if using it in something like tuna salad, but I have even been able to use regular mayo after using this one sometimes. It used to make me SICK when I ate it...but since going low carb, I LOVE mayo.

@annalisbeth74 - @Twibbly, @baconslave, or someone had recommended using MCT to make mayo, but it had been cost prohibitive before. I like the Carrington Farms "liquid coconut oil" aka MCT oil, and I use it in my cocoa. I am so going to make mayo with it. I don't like using too much olive oil with the fakes out there PLUS omega 6's! I might have to make a new batch. :)
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    Thanks knit..just the look of mayo makes me feel icky..idk why. I'll have to retry it, and with stevia
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @KetoLady86 - I got really violently sick on tuna salad with mayo when I was very early in my pregnancy. It took me years upon years to even try it again, and ONLY after I'd been low carb for a good period of time. I like mixing things together with it, and it ends up being it's own fat bomb... I like tuna salad with it, burgers with mayo/mustard/ketchup blend, smeared on lettuce for a BLT, etc. At first, I had to sweeten it a titch to be more like miracle whip (add paprika and a little stevia)...and gradually, I can eat it now without sweetened, except in tuna salad. Still like that tiny bit of sweet lift... LOL
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @KetoLady86 - I got really violently sick on tuna salad with mayo when I was very early in my pregnancy. It took me years upon years to even try it again, and ONLY after I'd been low carb for a good period of time. I like mixing things together with it, and it ends up being it's own fat bomb... I like tuna salad with it, burgers with mayo/mustard/ketchup blend, smeared on lettuce for a BLT, etc. At first, I had to sweeten it a titch to be more like miracle whip (add paprika and a little stevia)...and gradually, I can eat it now without sweetened, except in tuna salad. Still like that tiny bit of sweet lift... LOL

This is terrible to say and a bit off topic, but I had a similar experience with Mezcal back in 1988...couldn't even smell a margarita for over 20 years.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bump for new members.

Notes:
    • Check labels on current formulations before ordering;
    • KetoMCT oil (also caprlyic, like MiCkeyT8, below) is also on the market.
    MCT oil is Medium Chain Triglyceride oil. Basically, it takes the shortes chain (faster acting) fatty acids from coconut oil and concentrated them in a flavorless oil that stays liquid and also mixes with cold beverages, so some people that want coconut oil benefits and drink cold drinks use it just for that reason.
    Not all MCT oil is created equal. Most brands have 3 fatty acids. Lauric (C12), Capric (C10) and Caprylic (C8). The C# represents the length of the fatty acid chain. The shorter it is, the more readily available it is for use as energy by the body. The brain absolutely gobbles up the shortest fatty acids and actually prefers them even to glucose when available. This is what is being used in Alzheimer's and traumatic brain injury research.
    Most oils (Carrington Farms is one) have about 4.3g of lauric acid, and 3.5-4g each of capric and caprylic acid per tablespoon.
    Now Foods brand has only capric and caprylic acid at 6.2g and 7.8g. So, a higher concentration of the shortest chains.
    Dave Aspreys Brain Octane is 15g caprylic acid, which is the shortest and that's why he calls it brain octane. It's actually a faster acting source of energy even when compared to glucose. And will be used for energy before any other available source because it requires almost no breakdown in the liver.
    None of this means anything at all for weight loss. Many people think it does.
    The benefit to these shirt chain fatty acids is brain health and energy. I have been able to reduce my stimulant medication for ADHD since using MCT oil. The one I use is MiCkeyT8 brand and has 13.8g caprylic per tablespoon. It's cheaper than Brain Octane and gets the job done. I specifically use it as a supplement for treatment of ADHD and had my daughter taking it instead of medication her last year of school. The only problem is it doesn't last as long as her extended release medication did and she would've needed a second dose later on but all of her main classes were in the morning, so it worked out for her.
    Anyway, perhaps a little more information than you were looking for. But the bottom line is, I wouldn't expect much if boosted weight loss is the purpose for using. But if supplementation for mental clarity is, then you'll be happy.
    I will also note that I still use coconut oil on a daily basis as well because lauric acid and the other fatty acids in it have their own benefits as well. So, using both is the perfect plan.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I used MCT Oil for about 4 months as an adjunct to "medically therapeutic ketogenic". It did nothing in regards to minimizing my neurological movement disorder symptoms. Bummer.

I did not find it satiating as a fat but that was/is not its intended purpose. My anecdotal would be I was generally hungrier when using it because it limited my other fat intake by 390 calories a day. I've been eating @ the same maintenance calories for about 3 years.

I also didn't magically lose weight or inches while using it, so if it has that reported benefit, I didn't experience it. I didn't feel any surge or rush of energy while using it.

I did ease into use since it recommends doing so. At 3 Tbsp/day, (at different times, not at once) I did not experience any digestive/bowel issues positive or negative. I'm not normally "bothered" by foods one way or the other in that respect and the same applied to MCT Oil use.

I did prefer Brain Octane over the other 2 brands I used one of which was Now Sports Brand. I forget the other. Guess it didn't help my memory either Ha!. Brain Octane is completely tasteless to me which is why I preferred it. Very easy to bury in other foods or take alone. It is 99% C8 which is supposed to be preferable but it compared to the others and made no observable difference to me for my purposes.

TL:DR MCT Oil? Meh. Nothingness. My experience. YMMV.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to think it's a bit of a gimick with added expenditure. It's not cheap, and frankly, the way my weight has been going down, I'm happy to stick with my flaxseed oil, olive oil and coconut oil, plus of course, my grass-fed ghee.....
  • kpk54
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't think everything about MCT oil is "woo". Medically, it has several uses that are beyond it being "just fat". The MCT Oil Ketogenic Diet is listed as a diet for people with epilepsy-on reputable sites for epilepsy as well as in medical journals. My interpretation of it in regards to medically therapeutic ketogenic diets (for neurology)is, the medicinal qualities of MCT are such that it allows for slightly higher carb and/or protein intake thus allowing more food variety in a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet. I'm neither doctor nor dietician nor do I have any medical license/certifications.

I don't personally negate it's effectiveness for medically prescribed uses. It just did nothing noticeable to me during the short 4 months I used it in the minimal amount I used it (slightly over 30% of my fat calories).

I also didn't notice any other changes. Some of those "other uses" may have a little "woo" behind them IMO. Should I say financial profit? There seems to be a few companies jumping on the MCT Oil bandwagon.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    FYI, here's a research summary from KetoMCT (a manufacturer...). I heard the founder on Jimmy Moore's podcast and found him to be pretty credible and sincere.

https://ketomct.com/pages/mct-research

The comments about MCT oil and its effect on ADHD (see comments above from @Sunny_Bunny_ ) are very compelling, IMHO.
  • kpk54
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    FYI, here's a research summary from KetoMCT (a manufacturer...). I heard the founder on Jimmy Moore's podcast and found him to be pretty credible and sincere.

https://ketomct.com/pages/mct-research

The comments about MCT oil and its effect on ADHD (see comments above from @Sunny_Bunny_) are very compelling, IMHO.

Exactly. And I don't think it would be used for children with Epilepsy if it did not do neurologically/physiologically...what it does.