Sync my fitbit with MFP

Options
sharont81
sharont81 Posts: 24 Member
I am anxious to see how the fit bit works with MFP.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It can work well. But like any tools, they can also be used wrong or badly. In that case, best result is poor results, worst case is negative effects.

One suggestion - Fitbit - Settings - Calorie Estimation - Disable it.

That as enabled means start the day assuming you'll burn what you historically have. If every one of your days is exactly the same, and you are prone to forgetting your Fitbit or syncing late at night - great feature.
    Otherwise, not so great, because when day is 1/2 over, it'll report to MFP that you have burned 1/2 what it thinks you will. MFP then does it's own math, in this case at noon, not bad.
    Disabled means Fitbit assumes you'll be sedentary, and only increases the daily burn when you have actually done more than sedentary, and presents that to MFP, which does it's own estimate of full day burn, and takes off your 500 calories or whatever your weight loss goal was, for your daily eating goal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I also suggest setting your MFP to sedentary and turning on negative calorie adjustments. With a desk job and as a night/weekend student, there are days where I do not even make the sedentary activity level. Allowing negative calorie adjustments keeps me in line as far as calories as I get to the end of the day and am trying to decide what, if anything, to eat.