Thoughts on Apples?

Options
How many of you eat apples on high carb days? I am wondering if i should just stick with blueberries and strawberries. I see the sugar content and it freaks me out.

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Love Apples! I purposly pick smaller apples at the store (about fist size), for eating on the go.. and larger apples to share with my daughter, cut up. :) When I eat an apple I usually weigh it.. if it is under 150g I just call it good.. if I slice it, I try to weigh out about 150g for me, and my kids get the rest. I usually log it as "Apple - Apple Gala" which is 80 calories and 22g carbs, 5g fiber, 17g sugars.

The fruit I usually put in my breakfast shake (140g) is 70 calories, 17g carbs, 2g fiber, 13g sugar.

So, these are actually very similar... considering the apple has more fiber.

Btw, I don't track sugar on mfp... I track fiber instead. The reason why, is because when I'm eating well, I don't eat many things with processed sugar, and imho, the sugar levels mfp suggests are too low. Why? Because they track all sugar... not just added sugar.

On the American Heart Association's website I found this statement: "How much [sugar] is just right?
    The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons. The AHA recommendations focus on all added sugars, without singling out any particular types such as high-fructose corn syrup. For more detailed information and guidance on sugar intake limits, see the scientific statement in the August 2009 issue of Circulation, Journal of the American Heart Association." http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

I wish knew how to "bold" in here... but the key words here are "Added Sugars." So, I don't worry about the sugar content in the fruit. :) But that's just me.. :)