Strength training for cycling

Options
msurads06
msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
So I am trying to get back into cycling after several years away. Right now I am running into the problem of my arms/back/core giving out before my legs do. I know this will come in time, but I am also doing strength training to help increase a very weak upper body/core (right now cant do a "real" pushup) any way my question is should I do lower reps <10 to build strength or higher reps >10 for endurance since my arms will have to "hold up" through the ride?
Currently i am doing a modified version of the Nerd Fitness Beginner Bodyweight Workout, but with counter top pushups and fewer reps of all exercises, slowly working my way up.

Edited to add: I have usually been riding my hybrid but am trying to transition to a road bike.

Replies

• veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If your arms are giving out, I would suspect a problem with your bike fit. You should not be putting a lot of weight on your hands/arms.
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would get some advice from a real trainer/orthopedic nurse etc.. Learn some good stretching technique and strengthen the areas that are weak. Start with high reps for each exercise but only do one or two sets. Add sets after a few weeks. The strength will come no matter what, but get your back checked out first.