Please help me design a taper plan...

Options
Carrieendar
Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
So I originally started off this marathon training cycle using a customized McMillan plan, but i have since added a day of doubles and a medium long run, and that increased my mileage to the point where I don't think the taper in the original plan is going to work.

I am three weeks out, I have averaged 58-62 mpw and I just did peak week which was 66 miles and looked like this:

M: 13 easy
T: 2 warmup, 4x1.5mi @ tempo, 4 min in between, 2 cool down
W: 6 easy
Th: 10 easy
Fri: 6 with strides
Sat: 22 w/15@ 7:16 average pace (aiming for 7:20 marathon pace)
Sunday: full rest

I had to fool around with days and runs this week because of some exams. But I usually do a double one day and take Wednesday off.

sooooo I have three to go. Do I keep my mileage pretty much the same for this week? then taper? about how many miles would you run 3 weeks out? 2? 1? I planned to go 16-18 for long run next week and then 12-14 the week after then race the following weekend-- it's nov 2.

thanks for any help!!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    3 weeks out, same volume.
    2 weeks out, cut volume by 1/3.
    1 week out, cut volume by additional 1/3.

For the long runs, I'd do the 18, then the 12, but do 3 to 5 of the 12 at MP.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    thank you! should just do 18 at LSD? its scheduled as last 6 MP. I feel like there is a lot of argument over what to do 3 weeks out. I feel good though going into this.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Since you did MP in the 22, I'd do the 18 at LSD. I also think it's important to keep that MP work closer to race day.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    i like that answer. I am kinda thinking I would love to just cruise easy pace for 18 this saturday, enjoy the moment...maybe do a route I know that has a couple easy trails through the woods included with greenway and sidewalk.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    3 weeks out, same volume.
    2 weeks out, cut volume by 1/3.
    1 week out, cut volume by additional 1/3.

For the long runs, I'd do the 18, then the 12, but do 3 to 5 of the 12 at MP.

Almost exactly this although I am personally ambivalent on MP during part of the long, but that is just me. In my experience most people taper *too* much and then the legs are "dead" for the race. Still run the same days you normally do and same intensity (other than last couple days) but reduced mileage.