At what distance do you plan on bringing water

Options
2»

Replies

• MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This depends somewhat on weather for me but anything over 6 miles and I'm definitely bringing water. If it's summer I bring it period.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have been training for my first marathon and as a consequence running longer and longer distance. Partly as a way to experiment, I started trying to extend the distance I can run without water or fuel (in cool, early morning conditions where I'm not sweating too much from the heat/humidity)... this morning I had a new long run without either fuel or water - 11.5 miles (about 2 hours 20 minutes of running). On my race-simulation long runs I start fueling and hydrating around 4 miles into the run and then pretty regularly about every 20 minutes after that at least, but I'm finding that I CAN run pretty long distances without needing food or fuel.

I used to think people who would say you didn't need food or fuel for a half marathon were crazy, but now i think they were just more experienced distance runners that knew you COULD train to run that way if the conditions were right.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I wanted to hop back here and tell everyone the plan I have for my 10-miler tomorrow. In looking at my route, I realized I'd be 2 blocks away from a friend's house. I emailed her and she said she'd leave a glass of water on the front porch for me. Bonus, she's really close to the halfway point of my out-and-back. ;)

Thanks so much everyone for your advice.

As a reminder, I did OK last week on my 8-milers (though I definitely refueled afterwards). I think I may worry about this more on the 10 mile+ runs I do. It's definitely NOT hot here in Western Washington these days (in fact, we have enviable cool, brisk fall weather right now).

So glad to be a part of this group!!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This depends on the weather and how well I've been hydrating!

At 10 miles, I'll always carry water.
    Below 6, almost never.

It's 6-10 where I'll make a decision based on weather and how well hydrated I am. If I haven't been drinking anything and it's under six miles, I'll just chug a bunch of water. Over six and I'll half-fill my handheld instead.

I really hate being thirsty, but I know I won't overdrink.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have one of those handheld bottles and I bring it for anything over ~6 miles. They're really pretty handy once you get used to them. I also like to bring a Gu for a 9+ mile run, and they've got a little pocket to stick that in.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and I rarely run any distance without water. I use a 20oz handheld and will drink most of it in 5 miles. I run mainly on trails though, if that makes any difference.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    For road runs, I carry nothing for anything under 10 miles, a handheld for 10-20 miles and a Camelbak for anything over 20; For trails, I take my hand held for all runs under 15 and my Camelbak for anything over 15...
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In the summer, I go through about 20 oz of water an hour and carry water on every run. In winter, I only carry water for 10 miles or more.