CF Anniversary & Celebratory PR

Options
kelly_e_montana
kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
This last week was my one year anniversary of starting my CF elements class. I had never played sports and my exercising consisted mostly of lifting with machines off and on, swimming, hiking, a little casual running (slow C25K stuff) and pole dancing. Since starting CF, I have changed completely in terms of how I view myself as a woman over 40. The possibilities seem endless.

Some good things have happened! I have learned how to deal with struggle in new ways and how to set goals and achieve them. I have lost 10% body fat in the last year via CF and powerlifting as well. CF has greatly helped with my eating disorder recovery and shifted my focus from how I look to how I can perform. I found an eating plan I liked and have been very happy with it for once in my life (Eat to Perform). I placed 2nd in my division in two CF competitions.

I also have to thank CF for unleashing the beast within me! I love free weights and powerlifting and CF taught me how to do that. To celebrate my one year anniversary, I hit a celebratory PR: 315 pound deadlift! I had been working on the 300 Club since June but I went straight to 315 this week. I am competing in my first powerlifting contest in early November. I have gone from a 95 pound bench starting to 155, 145 squat to 245, and 200 DL to 315 in the last year. I would love to thank CF for putting a barbell in my hands! I also want to say how much my life has changed since I've been able to work with great coaches who care about me as an athlete and a person.

If you are thinking about CF and are on the fence, do it. It will change your life in ways you couldn't imagine. Just wanted to give some gratitude on a Monday morning...

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Amen, sister! YOU ARE A BADASS!!!!!! I feel you on the crossfit as an eating disorder recovery device--I havebeen "over" mine for a decade, but the mindset of it? Still persistent. Until I started CF. Now I rarely have those moments that I used to have constantly. I also credit Eat to Perform as well (love them!).

Your lifts are awesome. CONGRATS!!
  • jimvic37
    Options
    This last week was my one year anniversary of starting my CF elements class. I had never played sports and my exercising consisted mostly of lifting with machines off and on, swimming, hiking, a little casual running (slow C25K stuff) and pole dancing. Since starting CF, I have changed completely in terms of how I view myself as a woman over 40. The possibilities seem endless.

Some good things have happened! I have learned how to deal with struggle in new ways and how to set goals and achieve them. I have lost 10% body fat in the last year via CF and powerlifting as well. CF has greatly helped with my eating disorder recovery and shifted my focus from how I look to how I can perform. I found an eating plan I liked and have been very happy with it for once in my life (Eat to Perform). I placed 2nd in my division in two CF competitions.

I also have to thank CF for unleashing the beast within me! I love free weights and powerlifting and CF taught me how to do that. To celebrate my one year anniversary, I hit a celebratory PR: 315 pound deadlift! I had been working on the 300 Club since June but I went straight to 315 this week. I am competing in my first powerlifting contest in early November. I have gone from a 95 pound bench starting to 155, 145 squat to 245, and 200 DL to 315 in the last year. I would love to thank CF for putting a barbell in my hands! I also want to say how much my life has changed since I've been able to work with great coaches who care about me as an athlete and a person.

If you are thinking about CF and are on the fence, do it. It will change your life in ways you couldn't imagine. Just wanted to give some gratitude on a Monday morning...

Things like this is why I love CrossFit as much as I do. You're really discovering yourself and that is so awesome. Good for you and by the way your numbers are almost identical to mine BUT (wait for it...age card coming) I'm a lot older!

Be proud young lady!!!
  • jedwards213
    jedwards213 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Those are some amazing numbers! 3 plates on the deadlift?! I'll be that felt amazing at the top! Congratulations on the PR and good luck with your first powerlifting comp!!!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

<3<3<3<3<3<3

You are the best Kelly!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'm actually moving down on my deadlift because my form still stinks. I can pull about 325 but too much back rounding. Dropping down and working 5x5 until I can get 275 perfect, then I'll move up the weights.

And I totally agree. Anyone thinking about Crossfit should at least try it. You might not like it, but I'm guessing that most of you will love it.