Garmin Edge 810 question

Options
KaktusJaque
KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
Ok, I posted a question about cycle computers a while back, but with the new and "IMPROVED" update recently, I cant find it.

I currently have a Edge 305 and am quite happy with it. The issue I have come across however is I travel about every other month. I either take my bike with me (when I can) or I will rent one when I get to where I am going. I would like to have a GPS with maps so I dont get lost in unknown territory. The 305 does not have maps. I have been looking at the 800 and the 810. For those that know or own one, I wanted to know if the 810 will work with a Bluetooth HRM or is it strictly ANT+.

Thanks

Replies

• KaktusJaque
    Options
    Ok I know I said I wasn't going to use the forums anymore, but that only lasted two weeks.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Ok, I posted a question about cycle computers a while back, but with the new and "IMPROVED" update recently, I cant find it.

I currently have a Edge 305 and am quite happy with it. The issue I have come across however is I travel about every other month. I either take my bike with me (when I can) or I will rent one when I get to where I am going. I would like to have a GPS with maps so I dont get lost in unknown territory. The 305 does not have maps. I have been looking at the 800 and the 810. For those that know or own one, I wanted to know if the 810 will work with a Bluetooth HRM or is it strictly ANT+.

Thanks

800 and 810 are both strictly ANT+ in terms of linking to "peripherals" like HR monitors, Powermeters or Cadence Sensors. The 810 DOES use Bluetooth for linking with mobile-phones (either Android or Apple) to provide livetracking, or to upload the ride details to Garmin Connect without the need for linking via USB to your PC.

• veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    As TBY says ANT+ only for peripherals. Seeing as ANT+ is owned by Garmin I doubt that will change anytime soon :)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was a looking at the 810 for my cycling for the mapping but according to the DC Rainmaker review the base maps that come with it are garbage and that you need to buy and load extra maps. It sounded like a hassle.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review.html
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    Thanks for the review Kenneth.
  • TheBigYin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You don't have to pay for mapping, the openstreetmap ones are excellent, and the link in the DCR works well enough to make the little bit of messing about cost effective compared to garmins extortionate pricing for their mapping.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I bought the 810 with navigation pack... I've only used the navigation once :D

Anyway... It's a top-quality bit of kit & much better than the iPhone apps I relied upon before!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I bought the 810 with navigation pack... I've only used the navigation once :D

Anyway... It's a top-quality bit of kit & much better than the iPhone apps I relied upon before!

Excuse the short hijack...

does that pack cover europe Clive or just the UK - because the openstreetmap link in the DCR review will allow you to load european mapping before your next trip over to the continent - save you getting lost in Belgium again :wink:

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It's the whole of Europe mate! Looking forward to a bike-friendly route from Ypres to Roubaix next visit ;)