1st marathon - what to wear?

valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
morning all,
just a quick question re: what to wear.

I very nicely said I would wear a t-shirt for the charity foundation my workplace is involved in, only problem is they only have polo shirts available! I normally run in my club vest with no sleeves, my friend who is running with me has pointed out that it will be the end of october and chilly and also our pace is going to be extremely slowly ( 10.30 min miles) so maybe the polo shirt would be ok?

Replies

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Don't wear anything too different on race day to what you've done practice runs in!! Maybe buy a cheap polo shirt and go out for a few runs in it to see how it feels and if it's comfy!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I'd be worried about the collar chafing my neck. I've never worn Body Glide or anything like that, so maybe that would help?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Ugh. Regardless of air temp or pace, I'm not sure I would want to endure 26 miles in a heavy, cotton polo. This being your first marathon, I would want to make comfortable clothing my top priority. You don't want to add in any unnecessary variables. Is it possible to get a plain shirt that you know you like and have it custom printed?
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    this sounds like a recipe for disaster.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    I concur with "recipe for disaster". If they can not provide you with a proper non-chafing running shirt to wear you should get out of it.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    thanks all, I got the tshirt and wore it out yesterday, it is actually ok. Its really light the collar was grand, I hate anything tight around my neck so I left the bottoms open collar might come in handy moping up sweat, tears and snot :). Only thing annoyed me was the sleeves so was thinking of taking scissors to them...either that or just picks at the start and end and run in my club vest as normal. Thanks all for the replies! getting close now....
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Many will recommend you wear whatever you trained in.