What's your training routine?

Options
NoxDineen
NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
I'm running my first Tough Mudder in September, and I foolishly signed up for a Spartan Beast mid-July. Right now I can really only run 5k, and I can't do a single pull up.

So I'd like to know how other people train so I can hopefully assemble the most efficient training plan possible. Thanks. :)

Replies

• dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did a TM last year, as a way to kick me into training crossfit more.
    I'm not one of the guys on the whiteboard either, scale my weights and such, although I can do about 5-7 strict pull ups now.

The best advice I can give you is what you'll need.

Running, yes, you're on the right track, you'll never have to run more than 3 k in one chunk, as there'll be an obstacle in the way. Our mudder was in a Ski resort in summer, so I had to train at hill running, but never more than 4.5 miles at a time.

Bear crawling, crawling. There seems to be a lot of crawling around.

Grip strength, and pull ups. There are lots walls to climb over, and you'll need a strong grip, and enough upper body strength to get your nose above the top of the wall. After that, I just hooked one leg over, and worked myself over from there. (Didn't have anyone to help me)

Plus, with a strong grip, you can do the monkey bars.

Belief. I didn't believe I could to the wall climbs, monkey bars, the big wet slidey ramp thing. But I gave it a go, and surprised myself by making every one.

Last thing, the electricity. It's just fear. Don't **** around and over think it. Just keep moving forward, get some shocks, get through.

So my training advice is running, pull ups, and some weightlifting if possible, and with safe coaching. But the pull ups will be enough. You can get your pull ups by July. Same with the running, get it up to 4-5 miles once a week, at a nice easy pace, small steps not big strides. You'll get round in about 4 hrs.

Good luck, don't give up. You can definitely do 30% harder stuff than you think. If you have to.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If there are any trail runs near you, do your running there. It's much different than running on the road and it does take some practice running trails. It's a better workout anyhow if you can manage it.

I would recommend following the Spartan Facebook page. The post a workout of the day that is focused around body weight exercises and building endurance for the Spartan races. Good place to start.