Calorie adjustment way too high

Options
mlyn627
mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
Hello I just got my fitbit last week and have been using it everyday and syncing with mfp at least 5 times a day. I am having a hard time understanding the calorie adjustment it's giving me on mfp. For example Sunday I walked 7136 steps and did no other exercise it gave me an adjustment of 468 calories on mfp. Monday was 6478 steps no other exercise and I got a 357 cal adjustment. Can this be right??? I don't want to go over on my calories so I have just been sticking to my goal amount in mfp but if I am wondering if I should make the adjustments on calorie intake so I am not getting too few calories.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If that is indeed your normal level of walking and daily activity, it means when you selected the MFP non-exercise activity level (Sedentary, Lightly Active, ect), you selected too low.

If that is different and unusual and you specifically going out for walks, then it's doing exactly what it's supposed too.

Look at a couple of my other responses here lately in other topics for the math, no need to repeat it.

And you have noticed that your goal amount goes up in MFP, right?
    You are NOT actually sticking to your goal amount - you are sticking to your non-exercise goal amount as estimated by MFP with no input from Fitbit that gives a better daily burn than a calculation.

If you are willing to follow the initial goal without understanding it - why aren't you willing to follow the adjusted goal I know is showing in your Food Diary?
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. When I first started using my Fitbit, I was uncomfortable with the drastic calorie adjustments I was getting because I had my activity level as sedentary. I bumped it up to lightly active and now I pretty much only see adjustments from intentional exercise.
  • georgedabear
    georgedabear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh that's why I'm seeing 1000+ calorie adjustments. Good to know, I'll change mine to light from sedentary.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Oh that's why I'm seeing 1000+ calorie adjustments. Good to know, I'll change mine to light from sedentary.

You must enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If not, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@georgedabear how many steps do you take to get 1000 calories? I get those calorie burns at around 21,000 steps.