Greetings & my story

Options
Greetings to everyone here! I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2010, was able to get pregnant spontaneously not long after my initial diagnosis, and had a beautiful baby girl in February 2011. In February 2013, I went through emergency, life-saving sugery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. My husband and I were put on a 6-month hold before TTC again, then once cleared it took almost a year to get a BFP again this past June. This pregnancy also turned out to be ectopic, but we found out early enough to treat it with methotrexate. Because of the multiple ectopics my OB re-referred me to the RE for help in figuring out why (1) it was taking us so long to get pregnant and (2) help in reducing our chances of future ectopics.

Today we had our second appointment with the RE. My AMH levels are extremely low, so in addition to reconfirming my PCOS diagnosis from 4 years ago, I also have been diagnosed with premature ovarian failure. I am overweight, and would like to lose 100 pounds to achieve my final goal. I have started Metformin this evening. We're not giving up hope of having a second child, but we are focusing on my health for the next month. I'm hoping to find some support here while I learn how to adapt my diet, increase my exercise & transition towards my target dosage for Metformin.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

There is a whole lot of information in the threads of this forum about diet, exercise and Metformin for the modern PCOS woman. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, there is always someone who's been there before.

Are you taking the Metformin ER? It causes less tummy upset than the regular Metformin. Also if you are still carb heavy, Metformin can cause you to run to the bathroom a few times a day. If you are on Metformin, than you are presumably insulin resistant PCOS so you should be lowering your carbs anyway so you dont have such a strong insulin response to meals.

Most PCOS woman find they need cardio AND heavy lifting to get the weightloss and looks they desire. Heavy lifting sounds scary at first, but it isnt at all. Helps you lose the fat and keep the muscle while you do it.