Edmonton's Best (a game)

Options
Sparlingo
Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
Let's play a bit of a game, shall we? I'll name a category, and someone responds with the business/place/whatever that they feel fits the title. Then, they propose a new category for another poster.

The hope is that in the process, we can all learn something new about our city, and maybe try some new things.

I'll keep it easy for the first category:

Edmonton's Best Cupcakes. (aaaaaand go!)

Replies

• sleafers
    sleafers Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So I am not a cupcake expert - to be honest, I don't love them - but the ones I've had that I like are from the place on Whyte Avenue next to Funky Pickle... I know it's either Flirt or Fuss, but I can't remember which! Let's go with Fuss. Lots of variety in flavours!

Best set of river valley stairs? (or worst to do, if you like, ha)...
  • JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do a whole lots more staring than stairing. I might suggest the ones below Concordia University, they are well shaded and not that busy with full time exercisers on them like the Glenora or Mac Hotel ones.

Favourite summertime people watching location.
  • Sparlingo
    Options
    I'm going to go with the legislature grounds on a hot day! Lots of hotdog stands, families, people walking about or splashing in the fountains. Good place to find a piece of grass and watch!

Best place for a day hike/active day outdoors (can be outside the city, but keep it to same-day travels)
  • JJMorrocco
    Options
    I am not much of a hiker, but I have heard good things about Whitmemud creek.

Best festival - the one you (not the kids) look forward to attending each year?
  • jennking76
    jennking76 Posts: 12
    Options
    Heritage Days...just love getting out there and walking around seeing all the people..just wish it wasn't soo hot.

Favourite farmers market?
  • sleafers
    Options
    Definitely Downtown. I love the open air and the variety of vendors!

Best indie coffee place?
  • JJMorrocco
    Options
    This kind of stalled out and sincce I don't drink coffee I can't suggest any sorry.

Best public viewpoint to watch the Canada day fireworks?
  • melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In terms of traffic accessibility I would say Strathearn Cresent (top of Connors Hill). You can't see the low ones but you get a nice view of the river valley. It isn't as crowded and it is easier to get out of if you are driving.

Best patio in the city?
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Julio's on Whyte. Lol, I don't even care for the food, I just enjoy the people watching vantage point. :P

Best park in the river valley?
  • JJMorrocco
    Options
    Rundle Park - has all the amenities, doesn't get too busy, and doesn't get overrun or shutdown for festivals or special events. Best of all simple for me to access right across the street!!

Best Edmonton summer activity - NOT festival or sport team related.
  • exohglo
    exohglo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know from experience but I'd like to try the Riverboat out sometime, looks like it could be fun

Best venue for music?
  • Sparlingo
    Options
    I don't know from experience but I'd like to try the Riverboat out sometime, looks like it could be fun

Best venue for music?

I'm going to go with the Starlite room, only because it is such a small venue and so you get to be closer to the show. That said, I think we could use a few more *good* small venues in Edmonton. The Starlite room may be my favourite, but the floors are sloped kinda funny and it makes for sore legs when you're standing there to take in a really long show.

Best mall?
  • AB4u
    AB4u Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    wooo tough one. West Ed is too big and overwhelming. Gonna go with Kingsway, its got all the stores I like and easy access!

best picnic location?
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say Laurier Park. There's lots of trees, the river is right there, and some spots kind of secluded. You almost feel like you're camping:smile:

Favourite activity to do in the city on a rainy day?
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good to hear about Laurier Park. My company picnic is there this weekend and I'd never been there before.

Go to Steeps on 124th St and have a pot of tea and maybe play some Scrabble or chess. :D Best tea in the city, I *kitten* you not.

Favorite summer festival?
  • Sparlingo
    Options
    Oooh - for me that's a tie between the Folk Festival and Improvaganza. Sadly I have to miss both this year :frown:. There's a group out of Vancouver that hits up Improvaganza every year called The Sunday Service and they are the funniest thing I've ever seen. I go every year that I can. With the nature of improv it's different every time and always has the potential to be hilarious or a flop, but it's been mostly comedic gold when I've been there.

Best restaurant for date night?
  • linrin
    linrin Posts: 1
    Options
    Zinc is great for a long leisurely dinner with a great view, or to people watch.

How about the best dog park?
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Beuna Vista off leash dog park, hands down! :)

Best pub/tavern?
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with Mercer Tavern or Kelly's Pub, both on 104 Street downtown, two totally different pub "feels".

Favourite place to get Indian food? Sometimes I just get cravings that I can't avoid and always looking for new places.
  • sleafers
    Options
    New Asian Village is a classic, but I love Daawat (on Whyte) a little more.

Also, Naanolicious on Whyte is good for Indian food served non-traditionally - so in a panini, or a salad.

Best place (other than home) to spend a rainy day?