Why did you start lifting?

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
And...why are you still lifting??

Was it for weight loss?
Are you already at maintenance but looking to loose body fat?
Increase strength?
Recomp?
You just like lifting??

I started 5x5 about 10 weeks ago and it has been to "lose weight". I still have about 10-15lbs to go, but I also knew that I wanted to reshape my body along the way and not just lose pounds. I have previously (like most) done lots of cardio and received results, but wanted something different. I have been loving what lifting has done for my physic as well as my head...I feel stronger mentally too.

How about you?

Replies

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Started because all the research I've done points to lifting for the body type that I want... Still working on it but I def love the way it feels to be in the "guy section" of the gym and hold my own! Confidence will come.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I started lifting after reading the boards. I decided I didn't want to end up "skinny-fat". I've been lifting since March 2013, so 8 months now.

And...why are you still lifting??
    -I'm still lifting because I like the results so far, and I'm not at my goal body/weight yet.

Was it for weight loss?
    -It was more for retaining lean body mass than weight loss. I've kept my calorie deficit for that.

Increase strength?
    -After lifting, this became important to me. I never liked being seen as weak, mentally or physically. Knowing that I'm stronger than I though I was is a wonderful feeling.

Recomp?
    -I may consider this as I get closer to maintenance calories.

You just like lifting??
    -This is pretty much it at the end of the day. I've fallen in love with the way it makes me feel and how my body looks now :D
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Great post, Symba!

I started because all of the women who inspired me with their success and their kick *kitten* bodies lift, and every single one said to start sooner rather than later, even if you still had significant weight to lose.

As some of you know from a recent status update, I'm feeling a little discouraged about my "lack of progress" since starting with 5x5 about 2 months ago -- 10 lbs., less than 6 inches lost, and zero changes in how my clothes feel -- but I know this is absolutely the right path for me, and that if I just keep at it, I will have the success and body that I want. Yes, I need to make some tweaks and changes, but I don't see myself ever quitting.

Plus, I just freaking love it. Lifting makes me feel dead(lift) sexy and like a total bada$$. :)

C.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I hate that MFP censors our posts.

If I want to say *kitten*, I should be able to do so without using stupid-*kitten* dollar signs.

*kitten* *kitten* *kitten*!

:)
  • spirit095
    Options
    crabada wrote: »

If I want to say *kitten*, I should be able to do so without using stupid-*kitten* dollar signs.

I also forgot to say, I continue to lift because I want more booty. I'm trying to develop my *kitten* and hamstrings into something glorious haha ;)
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    spirit095 wrote: »

I also forgot to say, I continue to lift because I want more booty. I'm trying to develop my *kitten* and hamstrings into something glorious haha ;)

For a better glute workout check out strong curves by Bret Contreras aka glute guy. I've seen a huge change in my back side from his work. My glutes were dormant before I started his work now I feel them work all the time.
  • spirit095
    Options
    massage97 wrote: »

For a better glute workout check out strong curves by Bret Contreras aka glute guy. I've seen a huge change in my back side from his work. My glutes were dormant before I started his work now I feel them work all the time.

I've been better at activating my glutes through squats and deadlifts now. It's looking perkier and I have a bit of hammy development going on lol. I usually do glute bridges if I have the time, but I'm usually too tired to add them after my workout :'(
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Good tip on this...I was wondering what else I can do to help the booty. :smiley:
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »

Good tip on this...I was wondering what else I can do to help the booty. :smiley:

Basically just make sure you squeeze those glutes as much as you can when doing any lifts.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

<.< are those canadian dollar signs? let's find out

royal canadian *kitten* *kitten* *kitten*

nope. they're canadian. anyway.

i got a nice little perfect storm to start me lifting. i was biking all the time and getting strong enough in specific places that i was starting to want to balance that out anyway. i had hit a weight loss plateau that was infuriating me but i wasn't going to ride even MORE miles per week than i was already, and everything i read said 'lift! lift! lift!'

and also, i'm 49 and all that menopause-is-coming and other 'age' stuff. i just feel like i've got this window (in a good way, not a last-ditch kind of way). it's kind of like: now is the time to do it and maximize things, especially bone density and muscle mass.

and, i dunno. something more meta, but . . . i'm often the only woman in teams wherever i work, plus i have this really great male friend who i saw quite a lot of while he was in town for a while, last year. so a fair number of men in my world, and one i aws hanging out with a lot. and all these people are strong, and somehow it just doesn't work in my mind with that whole "oh, but they're guys" kind of thing. i just get all competitive. just a kind of a 'hey, if you can do that then i wanna do that too!' kind of thing. i don't care if i can bench 60 and they could bench me; it's more just like if they're strong then i wanna be strong. especially my big friend; i kind of miss him because he'd get a bigger kick out of all this than anyone else that i've known.

why i keep doing it? i like it. i really do have this simple reason for it all really: i just want to see how strong i can get.