I had a dream

Options
In this dream I did a pull-up. Well actually, not just a pull-up but various pull-ups with my hands in all kinds of positions and I even did one where I was essentially laying on my side. It was awesome! I've been reading that several of you are doing pull-ups and I got on the assisted pull-up machine the other day. But I really haven't done anything. Wondering- for you who do pull-ups- why do you do the pull-ups, when did you add them, what have you noticed about your fitness after adding them? Thanks!

Replies

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    So totally not what you're asking but.... The Mister called me into the other room and asked if I could do a pull up. I laughed and said No. BUT! I actually surprised myself when I did not 1 but 2! WOOT Not even sure how that happens. Haven't been working on them specifically.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Engodwin: that's awesome! Congrats! Maybe I'll be there someday :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Wondering- for you who do pull-ups- why do you do the pull-ups, when did you add them, what have you noticed about your fitness after adding them? Thanks!

i wish i did do pullups :D but not yet.

how they got into my life had nothing to do with me really. i belong to this group of women who lift that meets once a month or so, and a lot of women really wanted to do 'at least one' because it was their big "badass" move. so the facilitator/trainer scheduled a pullup-101 type workshop and i was at it. that was around a month ago and i made it a slow extra project.

in terms of badass factor, i still don't really see them as all that sparkly. i'd much rather be able to do a good barbell clean from the floor, myself. but i'm on the bandwagon and working towards them for a couple of reasons:

- main one was how compound they were. huge core turn-on. i got into them because it's like a plank with afterburners, on super-premium gas. i was sore for days afterwards.
    - because i hate rows. i hate, hate rows and have never felt like i was getting any benefit from them. the pullup thing turned on so many lightbulbs about 'engaging' and turning on upper-back and shoulder muscles that i've never really made the connection about before then.
    - i love the whole lats factor. i want me some lats.
    - shoulder health. i'm just doing accessory/beginner stage exercises with the pulldown bar still, but i really feel it's been huge in terms of adding extra stabilization muscle and protective 'bulk' around my shoulder joints. it's a big deal for me and i'm really feeling the benefits in terms of finding bench and ohp not nearly as twingey/impingey as i was before. it's pointed me what direction to go for getting my rhomboids and traps in on the act, which helps a huge amount with posture and keeping my shoulderblades neutral.
    - left/right equalizing. you should have seen how most of us corkscrewed towards our dominant side while we were pulling ourselves up to that bar ;-) this has always bugged me and been something i'm trying to minimize. guess i like how a pullup actually shows you what's going on there, so i'm finding it gives a better change at correction and making the lazy side work too, compared with just trying to figure out if a barbell is following a level path.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great group! These are great reasons, canadianslbs. I am so new at weightlifting and my lower body is so large compared to my upper. I'm still not sure I want it to be a goal (but I guess I'm leaning that way since I'm even dreaming about it)! I almost made a fool of myself on the assisted pull-up machine the other day- almost dropped the entire weight from the highest point when I was trying to figure out how to dismount! I think I'll try some more on the playground equipment before going to gym equipment. Thanks for the reply!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Canadianlbs what an awesome list thank you!! I usually try to do some work on the assisted pullup machine at least once a week and now I definitely want to keep that up.