Hair loss...

Options
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the post. I'm just about 3 months post op and my hair has been falling out in rapid speed for the past few weeks, I'm hitting my protein goals and started taking biotin but what else can I do? My mom actually said something today about noticing my hair thinning out so I'm really self conscious now.

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    All you can do is move forward with excellent nutrition to keep your daily hair growth strong. You are simply losing the hair from the initial starvation period post op. Very few people hit their nutrition goals perfectly in the 1 st 3 wks and even if you did we are going from a rich 4000 calorie a day lifestyle to a meager 400 calories a day along with surgical recovery. The standard side effect is losing 1/4 to half of your hair. The faster you hit your nutrition goals the faster it returns. NOTHING will stop the damaged hair that was in place 3 months ago from falling out. It is a Grace that it takes 3 months to start and usually stops after 3 months. Imagine if it all fell out the week after. No point in being self conscious about it. It is what it is. Get your stylist's advice about an attractive cut but don't fall for any snake oil sales pitch about $100 treatments to save it or grow it. Just hit your nutrition goals and the veterans say it goes back to normal in about 2 years. I am convinced the reason most obese people have fabulous thick hair is because we are so over nourished.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I logged in tonight to ask this same question, so that you. Whether it be the obesity (LOL Mangopickle) or not, I've had super thick hair my entire life. You could floss with a strand. I'm kinda nervous about losing some. I am not looking at a severe calorie deficit prior to surgery...just after. Wondering how bad it will be.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    I logged in tonight to ask this same question, so that you. Whether it be the obesity (LOL Mangopickle) or not, I've had super thick hair my entire life. You could floss with a strand. I'm kinda nervous about losing some. I am not looking at a severe calorie deficit prior to surgery...just after. Wondering how bad it will be.

I've had super thick hair my whole life too (WAY prior to me gaining all the weight) and my hair is falling out at rapid speed. I'm getting very self concious about it and actually thought of just shaving it all off and going to get a wig that looks like my hair now!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Mangopickle is right, it happens to most of us and is unavoidable. Like she said, it's going to happen about 3 months out and go for a few months. However let me tell you, I wasn't hitting my protein goals for a couple of weeks at 3 months out (vacationing and forgot to eat. A lot!). That's when mine started falling out, and I thought that was why. But my loss lasted closer to 6 months because of that lack of protein at 3 months out (per my doctor) and I was really getting scared! Point being you can lose a lot more than you need to if you aren't eating right and getting your protein consistently. The good news here is that it does stop falling out and in most cases does grow back. I'm 3 years out now and it's really close to where it was prior to surgery.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned above I too started losing hair, but at 4/5 months out, when I had my 6 month appointment I brought this up. The doctor old me it happens to many but not everyone. He said for me to up my protein and keep track of it again. I was slacking off keeping track. That was one of the reasons I came back to MFP.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I heard the shampoo Nioxen (not sure of the spelling) may be helpful for people who are losing hair. I have extremely thick hair and when I mentioned losing hair after my surgery (which should be w/in the next 2 mos) to my stylist she said I would be the first person she would be happy to see lose some hair :) She then said all kidding aside, hair is protein so the best thing I can do is to make sure I consistently meet my protein goals from day 1. I won't be too excited to see a dramatic hair loss, but if I can keep it to a 3-4 mo period of loss, I guess that is worth the long-term weight loss that will come with it. Good luck to you.
  • clcesari
    Options
    I got a weave. The woman who installed it went above and beyond to try and protect my hair as much as possible. It will not make the hair loss disappear, it just helped me have more piece of mind. AND I can dye it without getting scared im making it worse! dknq8d284z0j.jpg
  • clcesari
    Options
    I have NO idea why that photo is so large. LOL. I'm sorry twin!
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    LOVE your hair twin!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I went the other way. Being already follically challenged, I didn't want to lose any more, so in July I started shaving my head. I had wanted to try it for a while already. I figured if the hair is reacting to the surgery and nutritional issues, I would remove the challenge.

I only had one person connect the baldness and weight loss and ask if anything health-related was going on!

Being thinner with a bald head (and the obligatory mirrored sunglasses) is a better look!

Rob

63741332.png
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot- to the point where a few weeks ago my sister asked if it was time to get a wig. That was not the best day between us....but, at 7 monts, I've just started to notice new growth so I have hope. I also dyed it darker and had it cut a bit shorter, that helped to give it a fuller look. It's true-protien and fat are great for hair growth- the suppliments like bioten help- but it's going to happen no matter what you do- so just do the best with what you can - weave, dye, style- hats! and I tell myself I'd rather be down 100lbs and little light on hair.
    -
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I thinned a bit. Enough for me to know but nobody else noticed, or said anything anyway. My thinning was overall so no patches to worry about. It was just like getting a new haircut, you notice it a lot at first when you wash or brush your hair. After a while it just becomes normal. I am 7 months out and I still lose a little hair but not as much as the 3-5 month stage. In fact I think it is coming back now. Protein intake is not and has not been my major priority the way it is with most VSG'rs (different medical advice). Some days I have a fair bit, others I just don't. But I don't think I've lost more or less hair than most folk on here. I have not used biotin. I die my hair as well about once a month to cover the many grey hairs. I worried about that early on at the time my hair started thinning but I haven't seen any major consequences of that tbh. But yes, the hair thinning is well worth it if the pay off is the weight loss.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot- to the point where a few weeks ago my sister asked if it was time to get a wig. That was not the best day between us....but, at 7 monts, I've just started to notice new growth so I have hope. I also dyed it darker and had it cut a bit shorter, that helped to give it a fuller look. It's true-protien and fat are great for hair growth- the suppliments like bioten help- but it's going to happen no matter what you do- so just do the best with what you can - weave, dye, style- hats! and I tell myself I'd rather be down 100lbs and little light on hair.
    -

I'm looking forward to when my starts to grow again. It has really thinned out but no so bad that it's noticeable to others.

55884421.png
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For those of you with noticeably thinning hair, try a fill-in product such as Toppik or Nanogen. They work really well. I used them even before surgery since I lost about half my hair years ago just due to bad genetics.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4bamB1j9f5Y
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=BHsZ0ncWRfk
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist stressed getting my protein and all my vitamins from the start as approximately three months out there is a chance for hair loss. Trying to get more protein and vitamins at that point wouldn't help, and expect the hair loss to go on for three months or so. My sons wedding is six months out from my surgery so I'm trying as hard as I can to follow her advice. I so do not want to lose my hair!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    clcesari wrote: »
    I have NO idea why that photo is so large. LOL. I'm sorry twin!

It's large because if reflects the pride pictured. Great job!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    clcesari wrote: »
    I got a weave. The woman who installed it went above and beyond to try and protect my hair as much as possible. It will not make the hair loss disappear, it just helped me have more piece of mind. AND I can dye it without getting scared im making it worse! dknq8d284z0j.jpg

That picture is GORGEOUS. You look beautiful! Now I want a weave.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Don't blame yourself.

Honestly, I don't know how much you can do about thinning hair. I know we all hear, "getting your protein in!" will prevent hair loss, but proteinemia is not the only reason people lose hair. Honestly, I ate more protein post-op than I ever did with my prior diet. I still lost some hair, and it was patently not due to proteinemia.

I think hair loss in this situation is probably caused by extreme fat loss (and fat loss causes extreme changes in our bodies that we are completely unaware of, such as fluctuations in hormone levels). I started thinning at 2 months post op, and it stopped at about 3 or so months post op. My protein intake was ample. I was taking the recommended vitamins. My labs were improving, not showing anything wrong.

The biggest change in me was my size and fat loss. When my hair began to thin, I was more than 20 lbs down, which was 1/4 of my excess body weight lost in 2 months (I started at a relatively low obese BMI and had about 80 lbs to lose, at the outset, to get to a normal BMI). I had already begun reaping the other benefits of WLS and weight loss, including resolution of my T2 diabetes, PCOS symptoms, and HBP. Clearly, more was going on inside of me than met the eye.

The only other times my hair thinned was after I had each of my two children, and with both of them, I lost a staggering amount of "baby weight" within the first 1-2 months - upwards of 20-30 lbs in that short time period. Again, hair loss started at about 2 months.

So... back on track. What can you do to help your thinning hair:

Be gentle with your hair. Use gentle shampoo every other day or as needed, and use a generous amount of leave in conditioner (on the hair shaft not on the roots) every time your hair gets wet. Don't squeeze your hair after you rinse in the shower. Don't comb through your hair with your fingers in the shower. Don't aggressively towel dry your hair, instead, get a turbie twist or super absorbent towel, wrap it around your head gently, and leave it on without squeezing, rubbing, or blotting for at least 10 minutes after you shower. You give the conditioner a chance to suck in and the excess water a chance to come out. Use a gentle brush, like "The Wet Brush" to comb without breakage. Consider not styling your hair and letting it dry naturally. If you must blow dry your hair, make sure you use a gentle brush to get it mostly dry, then style with a round brush at the very end. Don't use pony tail holders, head bands, or clips, as they increase hair breakage. Ease up on coloring your hair, especially if you lighten it, and doing other such treatments. If you have grey that you need to cover, there are some great hair color sticks and wands that can help with touch ups and roots, but don't harm your hair and wash out easily.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    In my binder with info from the doctor's officer it talks a bit about thinning hair and advises to take "Biotin" until your body adjusts to the new diet.
  • vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm really confused about why nobody had mentioned Biotin or the Hair, Skin & Nails supplements to help with hair loss. I was told by several people that this helped them, my doctor and nutritionist suggested it too.. Does nobody else's doctors suggest these things? My operation date is Tuesday, but I'm going to be loading up on the Biotin as soon as possible to see if it will stave off as much hair loss as possible.