what new and or unusual foods are you trying?

Options
peacehawk
peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
I mentioned pickled kohlrabi a while back. I have always loved to eat it fresh right out of the garden. This year I pickled sone and it's tart and crisp. I'm liking it, but I only made 2 quarts. It should get me through the winter.

Kohlrabi is in the cole family, along with cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, collard greens, cauliflower and kale. It tastes probably closest to cabbage, or the stems of broccoli. If you get it too big, most varieties can be really tough and fiberous, so you want to stick with about the size of a baseball for most kinds. usually it will be pale green, but also comes in purple. I have never cooked it (except the leaves), although I think most people do. It's great just peeled and sliced and eaten like an apple. It has a nice, crisp texture like water chestnut but I like it better than that. It is also great as a slaw, in place of cabbage. It is really easy to grow. A couple of years ago, I did cook the leaves in with mixed greens (kale, mustard greens and collards) and it was awesome.

What new or unusual healthy food have you tried lately?

Replies

• peacehawk
    Options
    I accidentally made my oatmeal too sweet, so i added plain greek yogurt. It now has a sweet/sour thing going on. I haven't decided whether or not i like it.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Several of our neighbors, like us, have food gardens. when my partner was out mowing the vacant lots in the neighborhood, one of the neighbors waved her over, yanked up a 5 foot stalk of brussels sprouts and handed it to her, roots and all. there were some lovely little sprouts on it, and lots of big green leaves. We love collards, kale, beet greens, chard, and kohlrabi greens. I thought, why not brussels sprouts greens. I hopped online and, sure enough, some people eat them.

So, this mornings very delicious brunch consisted of a big pile of brussels greens sauteed with olive oil, garlic and a touch of onion. This was topped with two poached eggs and a side of whole wheat toast with real butter, totaling 520 calories with 14 grams of fiber. It was amazing.

ly929qs74joh.jpg
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge pear fan but have had them poached before so when I came across 2 in my fruit bowl, I decided to figure out how to poach them. After reviewing a gaggle of recipe options online, it seems that you can pretty much wing it, so I did.
    Poached Pears:
    Halved, core removed, face down in a glass baking pan.
    The end of a bottle of port that had been in the fridge door for several years, a couple of swigs of the leftover red wine from the night before, juice of a fresh orange and a small drizzle of honey over each pear half and a cinnamon stick in the liquid. There was about an inch of liquid in the pan.
    300 for 20/25 mins. until tender (not mushy)
    Left them to cool in the liquid, later removed them and reduced the liquid to 1/4. Served with a dollop of 0% Greek yogurt, a ginger snap and drizzled reduction.
    They looked amazing and it was so easy. Can't imagine that they aren't somewhat healthy.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Sounds delicious!