Going Out To Eat Post-Op....

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
Before my surgery last week, my husband and I had a routine.
All the "experts" say to never go shopping on an empty stomach, so this was what we did on "our" day.
It didn't matter where we ate but we usually didn't stray far from having a gift card, a coupon or preferably both to use, that way we felt like we were getting our moneys worth!
We have an Italian restaurant called Carrabba's, it is so much better than the Olive Garden (IMO) but the only time we'd eat there is if we had 1 or 2 of the above (gift card and or coupon).
For us to eat there the coupon had to be at least a $10 value which would put our bill to an equivalent value of an average restaurant.
Fast food places are always putting out some sort of deal(s) to get you to eat at their place of business so needless to say we were rarely at a shortage of options!
Obviously things are different now being post op.
I was just wondering for those that have had your surgeries how this (if anything) has changed for you and or your family?
How soon were you able to start venturing out to restaurants after your surgery?
Did or do you have any certain limitations on your food options or choices (comparable to pre-op)?
Just curious how you all handle these "new" situations...parks, fairs etc!

Replies

• keewarrior
    Options
    I have to say from reading your previous post regarding your troubles with surgery, that my experience was totally the opposite (10/1 Surgery date). No pain, no pain meds, nausea only the first night and from surgery. I was told at my two week appt. that I was probably 3 three weeks ahead of most people.

While still in the pureed stage, I have ventured into some moist fishes and even chicken with plenty of mayo. We did venture out to a restaurant 1.5 week post op and it is a different experience. Limited myself to clam chowder (just broth, no potatoes) and a couple scallops cut up tiny with plenty of seafood sauce. Nutritionist opened me up to chili last week as long as it resembles Wendy's chili where the meat is less than pea size and no chunks of tomatoes. Kind of nice to get two meals out of the deal, but also a little disappointing that you have no sides to choose from - but paying for.

I did experience a stall from week 2-3. Held same weight for 5 days as my body adjusted to the lower calorie intake. Once that passed, I immediately started dropping about a pound per day.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I love eating out now! Early on I stuck with soup or fish, but now I am ablessed to eat what I like in small quantities. If I can't share with someone and don't want leftovers, I order off the kids menu., appetizers, or Ala carte.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Having two teenagers in the house helps with leftovers. So far, all we have gone out for is breakfast, and after one egg and a slice of bacon, it's into the to-go box!

Rob
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Thank You All!
    LoL...In the moment Im not yet able to eat at restaurants but its something that my husband and I used to do once a week, allow someone else to cook and clean and then go get our weekly shopping/errands done!
    Because these 1st several "stages" are quite limiting on what youre "allowed" to put in your mouth, I know it will be some time before we can resume enjoying that again so I was just wondering how long before you all were able to attempt "social" life again!
    Clearly, just having had my surgery last week, we didn't do anything past that but this Fri I will have my 1st 1 week post-op appt and on that same day I will get to go on phase 2 of my foods....nothing real substantial but better than seeing liquid this and liquid that all day!
    Months before surgery, Id really started learning quite a bit about which foods held a higher protein punch so I think I should be ok in staying on that path as time progresses but I really did enjoy having a big robust salad...crazy, I know!
    Some people might say they wouldn't pay to go eat a salad bar but you can get full filling it up w/ different meats, tuna, variety of colorful veggies, peas, cheese etc, so I will miss no longer making that as high priority as my meat.
    I was taught, eat your veggies...which is different to now being told, eat your meat(s)!
    I know that life here after will not be the same so I want to grow and learn to what works and what doesn't, what's acceptable and what's not!
    Even before surgery I had started thinking about how Id adjust to being a "new" me and going out to eat.
    BKRCHK, do you offer up a reason to the waiter for ordering off the kids menu or do they ever question you?
    I often notice that most restaurants have a disclaimer saying something like "for kids under "certain" age, have you encountered any problems doing this at a sit down restaurant?
    Even pre-op when I was monitoring my cals, I had wanted to do this but never knew quite what to say if Id been questioned, so I never did!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    We go out to eat several times a month now that we are empty nesters! I do a few different things depending. If it's something I know the husband will finish or is easily heated up as a leftover, I will order off the regular menu concentrating on high protein options. If not, I get a bowl of soup (if it's more meat than pasta or rice), a bowl of chili, order off the kids menu or ala cart. At our favorite restaurant they offer a huge steak "for two" that we get. I take my 4 ounces, eat about 1/2 my salad and maybe 1/2 my side and he eats the rest of the steak and his food. I don't eat the rolls or bread because if I do, I can't eat my meal. It's not hard, it's just figuring out what works for your calories for the day. Breakfast out is usually a greek omlette, no potato no toast/muffun/etc. Where we go, I can eat maybe 2/3 of it. Don't bother boxing what's left.

Truth is, we can eat anything we want to with the sleeve, it's just a matter of following your calories, protein and such for the day. If I know in advance where I'm going for dinner, I love to go on line and check out the nutritional menu. Most chain places have that now. I can then decide ahead of time what I'm getting and really guarantee that I'm within calories. Sometimes I can even manage a dessert, but only if I can get it to go. I never have enough room to eat it there. And even hours later, a bite or two and it's all his! :D

Pat
    26197638.png
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    pawoodhull, your husband sounds like mine....he can eat his and mine too!
    A few months back when I was trying to work on more protein (to prepare for this new change), Id eaten all that I wanted but still had almost 1/2 a plate.
    I slid it over for my husband to have and told him to eat what he wanted (while it was still fresh) and we'd take the rest to go.
    Just seconds from having done that the waitress comes walking up, sees him eating "my" food and says "was there something wrong with it, did you not like it?"
    I was so embarrassed!
    If something comes w/ a meal, I will still get it because I can always take it home for hubby to have later (no money wasted)...I mean why not, we still paid for it whether we take it or not!
    The 1st time I logged a roll from Logans (I believe 250 cals for 1), OMG!!
    I haven't eaten any since, it just wasn't worth it...hubby burns the cals faster than me, he can have them!
    For those of you that are ordering off the kids menu, do you explain why or have you ever been asked why?
    I mean, easy enough when youre going through drive up window but not so much when youre sitting at a table w/ no visible kid(s) around :blush:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    pawoodhull, your husband sounds like mine....he can eat his and mine too!
    A few months back when I was trying to work on more protein (to prepare for this new change), Id eaten all that I wanted but still had almost 1/2 a plate.
    I slid it over for my husband to have and told him to eat what he wanted (while it was still fresh) and we'd take the rest to go.
    Just seconds from having done that the waitress comes walking up, sees him eating "my" food and says "was there something wrong with it, did you not like it?"
    I was so embarrassed!
    If something comes w/ a meal, I will still get it because I can always take it home for hubby to have later (no money wasted)...I mean why not, we still paid for it whether we take it or not!
    The 1st time I logged a roll from Logans (I believe 250 cals for 1), OMG!!
    I haven't eaten any since, it just wasn't worth it...hubby burns the cals faster than me, he can have them!
    For those of you that are ordering off the kids menu, do you explain why or have you ever been asked why?
    I mean, easy enough when youre going through drive up window but not so much when youre sitting at a table w/ no visible kid(s) around :blush:

My surgeon gave me a card that says I had bariatric surgery and to please allow me to order off the kids menu. I've even used it successfully at a buffett place to get the kids price. I've also used the card when wanting to change an item. Like can I substitute a vegtable for the potato? I've only had one time when I had to ask to see a manager to get what I wanted and it was only slightly awkward. But most of the time, I just order off the menu, these are really rare instances.

As for getting embarrased, I find if I say something to the wait person first, "It was delicious, but way too much food for me" they then aren't asking if there was a problem. Also, by asking for a box right when you are done, you give the same message, the food was good you just can't eat it all. Of course I've always been really open about having the sleeve, so I don't mind saying I had weight loss surgery and now have a really small tummy.

Pat

• 2BeHappy2
    Options
    It wasn't like I was "sneaking" him my food...lol!
    She came up from behind me in midst of me passing him my plate...it was unavoidable or just bad timing but it mustve given her some sense that I didn't like it...instead of that I didn't want it.
    People share/sample each others food all the time so I think she probably should've asked if Id like a box to take the rest home instead of embarrassing me by asking if there was something wrong with it!
    I have heard someone else say their Dr gave them a card similar to yours...I have not heard anything about the surgeon here doing that :disappointed:
  • MelanieWilliams3
    Options
    We have saved sooo much money when we eat out since I have had my surgery! :) I usually just get something a la cart or eat off hubby's plate, depending on what he gets. Instead of a $15 entree for me, i get a $3 "add on" item or cup of soup or something....:) It's actually really nice! lol My favorite is Mexican...one a la cart burrito and I'm good! :) Or I will eat off the kids plates when we go as a family, but that doesn't happen very often because they typically get chicken fingers and fries....lol
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Oooh, Thank You Melanie!
    I actually had not though about ordering side items off my husbands meal!
    Unfortunately we cant use "kids" at our table since its just my husband and I.
    Maybe if I bought a side item, I wouldn't feel so bad about "sampling" off my husbands plate but I really do hate the thought of a waitress working to serve 2 people when only 1 plate is purchased.
    Ordering side items or sometimes theyre called "extras" that theyre always charging more for, is a really good idea that I could see myself doing!
  • MelanieWilliams3
    Options
    Yup! My hubby loves his steak, so I usually just ask to "add on" shrimp or something to it and then that is what I will eat, along with his veggies if he doesn't want them! lol If you feel bad for the waitress, just tip extra! lol though I'm sure the server doesn't mind! You are making their job easier! lol
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    We eat out regularly and I have found it quite easy to order what I want wherever we go. Here are some of the strategies I use:

* For favorite restaurants I deconstruct my favorite dishes and add them as recipies in MFP.
    * For chinese take-out: Pull out the protein and weigh, then add veggies back in.
    * I always ask for the precooked weight for proteins. Choose portions that are 8oz or less precooked. Then eat 2-4oz of the veggie
    * Casual dining locations (applebee's and the like) have very accurate menus and are normally in the MFP data base.
    * Sometimes I order appitizer plates only and have them bring it as a meal.
    * Get a drink as soon as you arrive so you get the 1/2 hour while the rest of the table is ordering, eating apps and salads.
    * For larger portions: split the protein and box it up for tomorrow. I love the fact that I can get two meals for the price of one and get to enjoy special foods for lunch.

I avoid sampling off anothers plate - I make sure I order and consume 4-6oz of protein.