Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    May use the smiths machine, since it just sits there anyways ;) /quote]

i use the smith. it's actually been a great use for the pointless thing as i'm far too short to reach the pullup grips at my gym without a lot more jumping than i'm willing to let myself in for right now. the smith lets me set the bar at a height i can actually reach.

not really on any specific pathway for full-on pullups, but i'm still using pullup-ish actions (dead hang and that first 'pull everything together' move), just to strengthen and rehab all the muscles around my shoulder capsule.

@andy, congratulations!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I've done one before but I don't remember how my form was. I've done sets of assisted. I need to be better about remembering to include them when I'm at the gym.

Would like to be able to a few unassisted. I figure doing them assisted and winding the assist down over time can help. Also lat pulldowns. And just trying them unassisted every now and then to gauge progress.

I remember in junior high my gym teacher said females can't do pull ups because they have larger hips so we could just hang there or whatever instead of trying. I wanted to ask him if he could do a pull up with his big behind.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The trainer I work with, who knows that one of my long held goals in life is to do a pull up, has me doing lat pulls, and assisted pull ups quite often. The whole "actually using my lats" part of both of those exercises is still the seemingly tricky part, as it seems to be any time you try and engage muscles you never really thought of having before. As far as what level of assist to use, i think it depends on strength and weight and other factors. Whoever started with 55 lbs of assist, I think you are amazing!!! I weigh 200 lbs, and started with 160 lbs of assist. When I work alone, I am doing 3x12 of a weight that I can manage for 12 reps (sometimes this is a guessing game and I might fail on rep 6 and have to reset with greater assist) ... With trainer it sets and reps really vary because its easier to adjust as we go... but I think the last time was like 4 x 8 at 120lbs assist... I think??? Lat pull downs I can do 80 lbs so it ends up being about the same weight either way for me anyways.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am slowly trying to work towards doing a pullup (or several!). I am following the tips Nerd Fitness laid out, still on the inverted rows portion, but going to start trying negatives and hanging soon. I know I can do it, I just need to buckle down.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For those doing some sort of pull up program, when do you do it? SL days or off days? I find that my pull up stuff is really hard after SL, especially on bench/row days, but I don't want to compromise my recovery by doing it on rest days.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @mirrim52‌ I do all my weights on the same day, it can be quite difficult but I find doing much of anything resistants wise on my off days screws up my recovery.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i do the real pullup work in the gym, when i do it. on in between days, i sneak into the washroom at work and hang from the cubicle walls for a while.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I also forgot this thread existed!

I like to do what's called hollow hangs to work on grip. You hodl onto the bar or rings, tighten up your entire body until you're in a hollow position (shoulders back, legs straight, core braced, feet will be a little in front of you) And you just hang there as long as possible. Then swings help getting that whole momentum control thing down (even if you're not aiming to kip, which I ain't). Assisted with an elastic band, or three, is great as well.

I haven't done pulldowns in forever, which makes me think I wanna do a few tomorrow! Haha.

I also like to hang from the door frame at work while heating up my lunch. And at home I have one of those door frame pull-up bars and will do a few negatives when I think about it. I am close to a chin-up. Not so much an actual pull-up. It helps to lose some weight! xD 190lbs ia a lot to lift off the ground >_>
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I also like to hang from the door frame at work while heating up my lunch.

i use that time to take a grip on the edges of the double sinks and stretch out my upper back ;-)

i'll just mention, someone i worked with last year told me in university he and a friend did a study of 'organisms' found in random swabs taken from idk, regular life. according to him, the most lethal area in the whole survey was the tops of doors. in his words: 'we found stuff up there that the w.h.o. would get the horrors about.'

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

i use that time to take a grip on the edges of the double sinks and stretch out my upper back ;-)

i'll just mention, someone i worked with last year told me in university he and a friend did a study of 'organisms' found in random swabs taken from idk, regular life. according to him, the most lethal area in the whole survey was the tops of doors. in his words: 'we found stuff up there that the w.h.o. would get the horrors about.'

Don't ask what you would find on a doctor's wrist watch and neck tie...
    I have seen the results and they are not pretty. Part of the reason I do not wear my wedding rings to work.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I can imagine. I had to clean the door to our cooler once cause molding and the very top was the worst, plus all kinds of fun using the smallest ladder since it's hard to get to the top.

I'm trying to decide if I'll keep trying on the assisted chin-up machine. I'm a little too short but it still requires work for me to pull up to where the weights stop moving. hmmm
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Um, I'll keep that in mind and maybe wash my hands only after I've gripped the thing. Or I'll just disregard and excuse it as a "I'm trying to build up my immune system" type of excuse lol. Not really grossed out by germs. What I can't see can't hurt me (or so I,d like to believe).
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I'm doing chin ups or pull ups. I use a power cage and if I clear the bar I bump my head on the ceiling, lol. I have done 3 lifts unassisted using a grip where my hands are perpendicular to my body. Today I did 2 with palms facing me. I think that is a chin up. Last one was ugly-maybe I really only did 1 1/2.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread! Yes @Sumiblue chinups are with palms facing. Well done on your progress - you have my admiration!

I've been trying to do a chin-up (I think a pull-up may be beyond me) for a long, long time (about 2 1/2 years, maybe more). I started off severely obese and actually broke the pullup bar (one of those contraptions that you put in the doorframe). I bought a screw-in on and have kept going. I'm still nowhere near doing a chin-up, but not ready to give up yet!

I HAVE made progress though. At the start, I used to stand on a chair to reach the bar, hol on to it, and try to fall as slowly as possible. At the beginning I dropped like a stone. Now I can jump up to the bar and do hangs and negatives.

I think some things are against me - I'm in my 50s, I am pear/hourglass shaped without much upper body strength, and I've been happily maintaining at an overweight BMI. I'm trying to lose a bit more weight at the moment, and it will be interesting to see if that helps.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    ^^^great progress! Hangs & negatives are hard. I'm using those now to build strength, too. I'm 46 & am fighting against aging, muscle loss with all I've got!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    oh. just to bump this thread, among other things . . . i was doing warmup today and using the pulldown bar to stretch out my shoulders - ended up able to pull 2x10@70 pounds, which is a lot more than i expected to be able to do atm.