Ergonomic Ladies Saddle

Options
blackcoffeeandcherrypie
blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Hi everyone,

Tragically, my ergogel saddle has split and has gel oozing out, so it is time to find a new ergonomic saddle.

Does anyone have any recommendations of saddles they particularly adore?

It would need to be either flat or with a dent down the middle, and fairly wide for my fat derrier! :-P

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What kind of bike? Road? Mountain? Cruiser? All have their own requirements for saddles. Also, just FYI, the critical point regarding saddle width is the distance between your "sit bones" and isn't affected by how wide your derriere is or isn't. The sit bone spacing is skeletal and won't change based on gaining or losing weight. If this is a bike you spend a lot of time on you want to make sure you get a saddle that's the correct width. Having one that's too wide can be just as bad as too narrow.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Agree with ntnunk. My suggestion would be to visit a couple of good bike shops and ask if they have a saddle demo program. Most decent ones do or at least have a 30 day return/exchange policy. Even having sit bone spacing measured will not guarantee comfort. The shape of the saddle, padding, length etc will all have an effect. I recently tested 5 different saddles before finding the one for me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like WTB Deva for my mountain bike.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    What kind of bike? Road? Mountain? Cruiser? All have their own requirements for saddles. Also, just FYI, the critical point regarding saddle width is the distance between your "sit bones" and isn't affected by how wide your derriere is or isn't. The sit bone spacing is skeletal and won't change based on gaining or losing weight. If this is a bike you spend a lot of time on you want to make sure you get a saddle that's the correct width. Having one that's too wide can be just as bad as too narrow.

Exactly - though if you DO lose/gain a large amount of weight, the "onboard padding" may require a different "shape" of saddle, even if the "width" of the sit-bone support remains constant.
    veloman21 wrote: »
    Agree with ntnunk. My suggestion would be to visit a couple of good bike shops and ask if they have a saddle demo program. Most decent ones do or at least have a 30 day return/exchange policy. Even having sit bone spacing measured will not guarantee comfort. The shape of the saddle, padding, length etc will all have an effect. I recently tested 5 different saddles before finding the one for me.

Exactly - and when you find one that suits, buy 3, and stick 2 of 'em in storage, because there's no guarantee that the same model next year will be the same shape/padding...

At the end of the day, it's impossible to recommend one that will work, any more than we could recommend a pair of shoes or gloves that'd fit. Best anyone can do is give you a few to put on the shortlist. There's no substitute here for try-and-try-again, I'm afraid.

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I am aware of the need for sit-bone spacing to be accurate which is why I go for ladies ergonomic saddles, as unisex saddles don't work for me at all.

As regards the width of the saddle, that was a rather tongue-in-cheek comment, but I do prefer a wider saddle as I find them more comfortable - probably due to having a fairly wide pelvis.

What I liked most about the ergogel range was that they had three different types for cycling posture - i.e. for upright, medium and for racing position. The medium worked best for me. I guess it's doubtful that I'll find that much choice in the future.

I think I'll probably end up looking at the Selle Royal collection as they seem to have a few. I was curious if anyone had a brand that they found especially comfortable. I've heard good things about Brooks saddles but they don't seem to be ergonomic and they're quite pricey if I do decide to splash out on one.

Thanks again.