What do you eat BEFORE your workout??

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
I workout in the morning (within 30 minutes of waking up), so I have a scoop of protein in water.
Somedays I wonder if this is why my lifts aren't stellar. But I TOTALLY love working out first thing in the morning!

If you workout in the morning before breakfast what do you eat?
Do you take any pre-workout supplements? And if so, what are the benefits?

On a side note...does anyone know why I only get 1 page of topics listed? I cant seem to go back in history and look at old stuff. Hmmmmm

Replies

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings. I eat before I do so because I tried a couple of days of doing cardio without eating and the workouts always seemed so much tougher. So now even if I don't feel hungry, I eat so I can get a better workout in. It takes me less than 10 minutes to cook and eat everything.

For the last few days, I have been having microwaved egg whites. I buy the liquid containers from Costco. It is very fast to measure out a cup and microwave. I eat it with one slice of whole grain bread (the kind I currently have is 80 cals) toasted with half a slice of cheese. It is about 250 calories of food.

Sometimes I have some fruit and egg whites or fruit and Greek yogurt but if I am doing intense cardio, I like having the slice of bread more. Maybe its just a placebo but I feel like I have more energy after I eat the bread.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something before working out. Usually I eat a Quest bar for breakfast sometime between 8:30 and 9, and I get to the gym around 10.
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was just eating a quest bar in the morning but I found myself starving mid-workout, which is about 3 hours after I wake up. The last couple days I have eaten an actual breakfast and my workout went much smoother. I know it sounds weird but the macros fit so I have been eating 2 eggs, steamed broccoli, and 2 pieces of dry 45 calorie toast. Gives me plenty of energy with out feeling too full.
  • symba1130
    Options
    I added a banana to my protein shake this morning (ate on the side, not blended in) and it seemed to help.
    I went and did cardio last night after work and it reminded me again why I work out in the morning...the gym was PACKED at 430pm!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    If I workout in the AM, I do a protein shake -- either from powder or a pre-made one from Adkins. I don't like a big breakfast in my belly for lifting (or in general).

As for the group discussions, there's an "All Discussions" link above the blue bar, on the right side that will bring up older threads.

C.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm the lone person who works out (mostly) fasted. I wake up around 6, have a cup of coffee with a little milk, work out, and then finally eat somewhere around 10 or 11 am. I have gotten the advice several times that it's better to work out on an empty stomach. I don't really buy that, but working out before I eat just seems to be better for me -- less tummy trouble.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up by 5:45am and at the gym by 6am. I usually just have a few sips of water. Anything more and my stomach starts cramping and I feel nauseous. I haven't had any issues with my lifts so far (except for bad form,but that a story for another thread).
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am so no food for me until afterwards. I just sip water in-between sets, and then have breakfast after I finish.
  • symba1130
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies! I ended up with a greasy breakfast sandwich on Sunday before my workout and I think it actually helped me with all my lifts. I also had a cup of coffee too, so maybe a bit of caffeine will do the trick.
    I am kinda scared to take a pre-workout drink. My hubby does and he even thinks it will make me too shaky.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I work out after work, and I normally have a protein bar (like Quest) or when I need something sugary I have a Slimfast drink pre-workout. Somehow it makes me feel stronger (I would guess because since the hunger pangs are kept at bay, my brain focuses more on the task at hand more)...and I move more weight.

Re: discussions, I am at a loss as well...I have been since MFP upgraded :D
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a banana and some water about 30 mins before.