Accessory plans/routines?

Options
2»

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    OK, so at least one of my questions (about good mornings) was already answered in this thread previously, so thanks for that! :)

I'm interested in adding rack pulls to my accessories, but am not sure how to start or when to do them. I'm thinking these makes sense as part of the days I'm doing deadlifts, but then again, if I'm going with fairly light weight at first, maybe this makes sense as an every workout option?

Also, what are tricep pushdowns? Is that something you'd do with one of the machines? I'm guess yes, but wanted to be sure.

Any other accessories you gals are doing that you really love?

Thanks!
    Courtney
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I am starting to do rack pulls, too. I do them after I deadlift or on the opposite workout day so that I have energy to deadlift. I don't use a program (yet) for them but I do them lighter than my deadlift and try to vary the height so one day I'll do 12" and the next I'll do 14".

Tricep push downs are when you stand up and push the bar down on the cable machine.

I'm enjoying front squats and split squats. I think skull crushers (triceps target) are helping my bench too. What areas are you looking to target?
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Oh, you know, everything. :) Back and shoulders for sure. I do bicep curls and seated dips, but wouldn't mind more for arms.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Face pulls, high pulls, prison dips (not sure if it's the same as seated dip?), push ups, pull ups (assisted or with bands, too), lateral raises, shrugs, etc. are all options for those areas. That's all I can think of right now.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Small list of simple yet effective moves that don't require a lot of equipment:
    - 1 arm DB rows
    - KB swings
    - Push-ups (no one wants to hear that one but...) and burpees
    - pull-ups and/or recline rows
    - DB bench (incline or flat)
    - Power cleans
    - Close grip bench
    - if you need some more leg work, lunges, any variation.

I like to do my triceps push-down with the rope attachment since it allows a better ROM and doesn't restrict my wrists to a certain position. And seated dips kill my shoulders, so I do close grip push-ups instead.

What are you aiming for with the rack pulls? There might be a simpler, less specific exercise you could do instead that would carry over more to the other lifts and life in general?
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Krok -- Thanks for all those awesome suggestions. And for raising a very important question -- What *am* I aiming for with any of these accessories. I guess I should probably give that some more thought before I just randomly pick things. :)

I do know I want to strengthen my back (lower and upper), arms and shoulders, but beyond that, I don't have a plan. I'll keep thinking about it and do some more research.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I personally do planks everyday (adding 5 seconds, in the theme of Stronglifts), then during A Days, I do 3x5 assisted chin ups for back and biceps, and 5x5 triceps pull downs; on B Days, I do inner and outter thigh work. I also run 3x a week, because my stomach loves to bloat up without cardio, and running keeps it flat.