week 3

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
Please tell me others struggled with W3. Felt so good after W2 but OMG I could barely run in the last free form.

Also please tell me that some of the 'timed ' runs are longer. The last 15 sec of the final minuted seemed somewhat longer than that. Aslo the other day when we ran after Sam it also seemed longer than the set time.

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    OMG week 3 was so hard for me!
    I swore I wouldn't get through it every day.

and yeah.... I thought some of the parts were longer than stated too.
    I couldn't decide if I was just beat or they were milking me for a few extra seconds of work. haha
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Please tell me others struggled with W3. Felt so good after W2 but OMG I could barely run in the last free form.

I don't remember if I struggled particularly with week 3, but I do remember struggling in general. and if week 3 was easy for me --again, don't remember--I guarantee that you'll breeze through weeks that nearly made me pass out.

We may not have struggled with the exact same workouts, but we all struggled at some point in this program. That's why we have this group, as a firm reminder that we're not the only ones who do even though sometimes it may feel that way.

If running a 5K was easy, everyone would do it. :tongue:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I don't remember if I struggled particularly with week 3, but I do remember struggling in general. and if week 3 was easy for me --again, don't remember--I guarantee that you'll breeze through weeks that nearly made me pass out.

We may not have struggled with the exact same workouts, but we all struggled at some point in this program. That's why we have this group, as a firm reminder that we're not the only ones who do even though sometimes it may feel that way.

If running a 5K was easy, everyone would do it. :tongue:

Thank you!!! I know in my head that it is worth it and I'll look back in 6 weeks and wonder what I was worried about. Think I'm trying too much too soon - eg free form 8 minutes means i should run 8 minutes and I can barely do over 90 seconds.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I know in my head that it is worth it and I'll look back in 6 weeks and wonder what I was worried about. Think I'm trying too much too soon - eg free form 8 minutes means i should run 8 minutes and I can barely do over 90 seconds.

Are you running or jogging? A lot of 5K users here, myself very much included, found that jogging at a slower pace makes it possible to "run" for much longer. I refer to it as my zombie shuffle running style, and used it through pretty much every freeform run. My zombie shuffle pace is barely above my walking pace, but that's not the point. Thankfully! The point is that my muscles, my joints, and my mind, believe that I'm running.

If you focus on jogging slowly, and to keep that up, speed will come in time. You just have to have the endurance to maintain the speed first, and the slow-shuffle freeform runs are how you build that.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Are you running or jogging? A lot of 5K users here, myself very much included, found that jogging at a slower pace makes it possible to "run" for much longer. I refer to it as my zombie shuffle running style, and used it through pretty much every freeform run. My zombie shuffle pace is barely above my walking pace, but that's not the point. Thankfully! The point is that my muscles, my joints, and my mind, believe that I'm running.

If you focus on jogging slowly, and to keep that up, speed will come in time. You just have to have the endurance to maintain the speed first, and the slow-shuffle freeform runs are how you build that.

I too shuffle. A lot. But, I think it's part of what keeps me motivated. Besides, zombies can't move faster than a shuffle and even a shuffle is faster than the people sitting on their *kitten*, so it's all good.

And I totally agree that the app lies about timing. But it's notoriously buggy, so it could be that as well.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Dear lord yes. I'm on day 2 of week 3 and it's kicking my butt. Going from running 30 seconds to a full minute at a time is a pretty big jump, really. And count me as one of those who can not run the free form runs. Hell, if I could run a solid 8 or 10 minutes, I wouldn't need this app! I typically have 2 or 3 jogging sessions during the free form, probably only a minute or so each.

And by "run" I mean jogging at barely over walking pace.

You aren't wrong about that time you ran after Sam either! In fact, Dr. Myers actually never tells you to stop on that one. I ran, and ran, and ran until I knew, for a fact, that I had run at least three times the normal amount and just couldn't go any more. I just hoped I had caught him by then and started walking. lol
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 and am trying to alternate running (jogging) a min or so and then walking a min and a half during the freeform runs. I hope those zombies are slow.