New member and My surgery date is next Monday

Hello Group,

I am anxious! I've been going through this process for over a year. I was told in the beginning and just a month ago, that i may not be approved by my insurance. Since I have a BMI of 37.5 with "minor comorbidities" such as severe arthritis, sleep apnea and gallstones, it wouldn't be enough to sway Aetna to approve it, my surgeon stated.

I totally accepted that and kept plugging along. It really hasn't sunk in yet, but I do have a surgery date and will start my liquid cleanse this weekend. I lost and kept off 23 pounds since I started this process, but due to two torn meniscus and the arthritis, i'm not very mobile at all. I'm down right sedentary, which in itself makes me cra-cray!

I am 56 years old, 218 lbs now and not tall enough for my weight.

My Orthopedist suggested I look into this, since for every one pound you lose, you remove 4 lbs of pressure off your knees. If I can lose 50lbs, I could get 200lbs of pressure off my knees and be more mobile, until I get knee replacements.

I'm looking for support and hoping to gain insight when I return home Tues, Post Op.

Thanks so much for being here,
Vanessa

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Good luck! Congrats on surgery date. Let us know how it goes ---- sending positive thoughts. Take it easy.
  • maggymae78
    maggymae78 Posts: 305 Member
    I hope your surgery went well! I am scheduled for tomorrow and have lost 20 pounds so far through the pre-surgery requirements. I have my final weigh-in today.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Wishing you both the best on your journey!
  • LisHardesty
    LisHardesty Posts: 4 Member
    I hope everyone is doing well post op. It truly is the BEST thing you could've done for yourself and those that love you. If there's anything I can do to offer support, let me know!!!