7 days post surgery

Options
imboswell
imboswell Posts: 104 Member
I am now 7 days out from my surgery and down 15 lbs. I am now under 200. I feel a little light headed at times from no food but not hungry. I get on the treadmill for 10 to 15 minutes and feel like I have walked miles. I don't know how much I should push myself at this point because I don't want to get any leaks. I am hating broth. I go to the Dr. today for my one week checkup. I hope he can tell me some things to give me energy because right now I have none.

Replies

• jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    At 7 days out, your activity should be very low intensity. Refer back to your surgeon's recommendation, but mine instructed me to only do low intensity walking for the first 4-6 weeks. Your body just went through a major shock. Give it the time it deserves to recover. Keep on walking, but I wouldn't recommend ramping of the intensity at all. In the beginning, I would just do 5 minute walks a couple times a day.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jkern, it's slow, easy walking until cleared by the doctor to add more. And you could be light headed if you aren't getting your protein in. Remember, you can put yourself into starvation mode if your calories and protein are too low. I always thought that was a myth until I stopped losing and my nutritionist told me I was eating too little and to up my calories. She told me my body was starving and retaining everything I gave it. I really struggled to up calories because it just seems so backwards, but I did what she said and the weight loss started happening again. So do what you need to, hungry or not or you will hamper your weight loss.

Hang in there, it does get better and easier as you fully heal.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It does get better. I am 6 weeks post surgery and I am finding that I have more energy now and I am not as tired. I was told not to over do it the 1st month. I did have the problem of not eating enough protein and my body was going into starvation mode--I was not losing after the 1st 25 lbs. I am now eating 800 calories and 70 protein daily. The dr said it is important to do this each day and not fall below. Not seeing the scale move is tough---eating the proper amount of calories and protein---I feel better too!
  • dittybug2001
    Options
    congrats for being under 200 woot!!! it will get better. I am 5 weeks post-op. I am walking now but at 7 days post-op I wasn't in the mood to do any exercise..lol
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Extreme fatigue is normal. Protein and water. Protein for nutrition and water to flush out all the ketones from digesting your fat as well as hydration. You will feel better in6 wks. The faster you hit protein goals the better you will feel even though it is absolute work to get it in.