Metric Century Ride... In The Rain

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
Morning everyone.

I had a wonderful and tiring day yesterday and I've finely checked off another item from my exercise bucket list. You can look at the ride here http://www.strava.com/activities/211608734

It's not my longest distance but I had a really wonderful time yesterday participating in the Sacramento metric century ride for Habitat for Humanity. The ride was suppose to be 62 miles but ended up being 65.10 (if you include the mile I had to park away from the start line), winding our way through the beautiful Sacramento River Delta along many of the tree lined private levees amongst the wineries and farm fields. I sadly didn't get to take any pictures. Give the weather and the fact that you had to finish within a certain amount of time I choose just to ride. Which is a shame because it was a beautiful landscape and I could have taken hundreds of photos (and wasted several hours). Most the ride was along small private roads with no cars lined with beautiful oaks and willows running along side the delta and irrigation fields. As we were in the valley, when the sky was clear you could see for miles.

It was a two hour drive up which meant I was up by 4:30am so I could carbo load and be their by 7:30. I arrived at the parking lot and it was pouring with rain. I changed and pulled on my rain jacket (thank god I went to REI the day before) got the bike out of the car and all my electronics in their plastic bags. My start time was at 8:00am, and by the time I reach the start line, across from the capitol, I was already soaked. The only rain gear I had on was the jacket, my shorts, shoes and socks were soaked so by that time it just didn't make any difference. It didn't end up mattering, the rain wasn't cold so it was actually comfortable to ride in. It thankfully only rained for about 3 hours of the ride. For the first 1hr45min of the ride it rained and then we had an 45min break in the sun before it rained for another hour or so before the sun came out and stayed out, and I could change out of the rain jacked and into my windbreaker.

I somewhat stood out amongst the 700 riders as the only one silly enough to do the metric century on an old mountain bike. Their I was on my lime green 12yo mountain bike, with my shorts and yellow rain jacket in a sea of fast skinny bikes and Lycra. It might have been big and heavy but it certainly made for a much more comfortable ride on those broken up delta roads. I couldn't tell if I was getting compliments or sympathy from the number of people who commented on my riding choice. I offered to trade bikes with several people but they all turned me down (I don't know why, this beautify would easily fetch a nice $50...).

The ride was well supported, with two rest stops with bathrooms, mechanics and enough food to chock a horse. It was a really nice day out. I socialized as much as an introvert socializes. I had a chance to meet everyone on the ride as they all had a chance to pass me more then once. I found my people near the end, the only 4 other people doing the metric century who were slower then me. Which made me feel good to be able to pass and keep ahead of other people. I actually found I preferred being passed or by myself, as being able to see others in front of me put to much pressure to try and keep up which I just couldn't do on this bike.

The last 20 miles were hellish with heavy crosswinds the entire way and some insane car drivers. But a beautiful ride none the less. I left a 8:00am and crossed the finish line somewhere around 3:30pm for a total of 5 hours and 16min or riding time. I didn't stop the entire time except at the two rest stops and to change clothing. It took me about 1hr30min to get my appetite back, but then a delicious dinner of Chinese food filled my 3,500 calorie hole.

Now on to a full century ride, 100 miles!

mgyyjafn9hq4.png

Replies

• tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    YEAH PAT. Well done on achieving it, sounds like it was beautiful along the way. And great job for not using the rain as a reason not to do it. You know maybe you could treat yourself to a newer bike when you hit one of your big goals.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I certainly thought about backing out many time. Thats my anxiety talking.
    Oh a new bike will definitely be coming, and it might be before any new goals. Each of these trips keeps reinforcing how I don't want to keep traveling these distances on that bike.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Really well done Pat. Sounds like a monumentous achievement
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome. I love riding in a nice rain as long as it isn't cold.

I know what you mean about the bike choice. I am out on the trails riding my cheapy bike that weighs a ton and being passed by bikes that cost more than my first car. I have my eye on a replacement bike for next spring that is really light and so much nicer to ride. I've gone in and test rode a few and I can't believe how much difference a good bike makes. I'm just afraid to spend that much and then wreck it the first time out...I've gotten better but still go down occasionally when the trail is slick.
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    Just amazing! Big congrats. I know you can manage the next step. Looking forward to hearing about it. :)
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Pat, that is amazing! It is awesome to see people knocking things off their healthier life bucket lists. Like the others on here I am excited to see where you go from here. Good luck on all your future rides (and bike purchases).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Superduper congrats!! Such an outstanding achievement!
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Pat you are a SUPERSTAR. Congratulations on your ride, you must be so proud of yourself.