Things you wish people would have told you about your first marathon...

Options
2»

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Linli_Anne wrote: »
    Expect to feel a bit of a slump a couple of days post marathon - when you still want to talk about it, but the rest of the world seems to have moved on.

Yup. So very true. The good thing is that there are races every week. And also there's the fact that all your hard work is "over" once you cross the finish. Starting over for marathon/race #2 is tough to deal with.

But that whole depressed thing isn't as bad after the others! The first one is the hardest to deal with.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    people who mention taking the next day off work - I thought that would have been a good idea, but wasn't able to take the next day off work and I think I am better off for it. If i took the day off i would have just sat around and barely moved, but instead I had to walk 10 mins from my train station to work, walk around work, and walk back to the train station and all the moving around helped my muscles stretch out and although it hurt, at the end of the day I felt much less stiff than when I woke up and in much less pain
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Having just done my first, I'm proud to be able to write on this page. You will be too!

- Plan on getting there early. It's better to relax in your car for an hour that it is to be stressed out trying to park or find your start time pen
    - Assume there will be enormous queue's for the toilet and plan ahead
    - HUGE smile when you see the camera, maybe a thumbs up or a two handed wave
    - Do not sit down after the race, it makes the walk back to the car a real challenge
    - Raise money for charity or post your intentions on Facebook. The sense of accountability helps you to hang in there when you feel like stopping.
    - Have family meet you not at the finish line, but half a mile or so before. If you're struggling it gives you a final boost.
    - [maybe not for everyone] Give it your all. Finish knowing you couldn't have done any better and you'll be buzzing for days afterwards.
    - Get your name and/or charity printed on a t-shirt. I didn't but heard others getting called out by name by supporters. That must have been a boost.
    - If it's cold/windy, take a throw away jumper/sweater for the start
    - Book the next day off work. You deserve it.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My top 3:

Wear something warm over your race outfit to the start. Even if you step out side and its not that chilly. Wear something warm anyway. Nothing worse than standing there freezing for an hour and wasting energy jumping around to try and keep warm!

Don't go out too fast. Don't go out too fast. DO NOT go out too fast. Start 10-20 seconds slower than your goal pace, and gradually build up based on feel. Running a negative split is the best feeling ever, and nothing more encouraging in the second half than passing a whole bunch of people who DID go out too fast.

Enjoy every second of it- even the hard/sucky/whydididothis parts. When every step becomes a battle, remind yourself that today you are a champion, and you are going to EARN that finisher's medal!