Six months post op ... Overeating again!

Options
lizadaze
lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
I am just over six months post-op with my VSG, but find that my appetite is now coming back and I am overeating and eating too fast. Of course, I feel miserable afterwards, but I am having a hard time all of a sudden staying in control of my portions. It is so weird to have done so well and now, I am prone to pushing the limits on my sleeve and eating too much. I am worried about stretching out the sleeve.

Anyone else struggle with similar issues? How do I get back on track?

Replies

• Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi
    I would read any and every staying on track tip (regardless of type of diet or lifestyle) and try to find ones you can try that may work for you.

I didn't stay on track and am having my second sleeve op (12 Nov 2014) my first was in 2006.

Try some of the following
    - make sure most of your meals are planned - don't wing it
    - track everything that goes in your mouth
    - portion out everything so you know what sizes work with your pouch and only have that knowing that it is enough
    - try to figure out why you want bigger portions (emotionally)
    - question your reasoning or need for anything extra
    - time your bites, time the space between bites
    - don't do anything else while eating (eg talking, watching telly etc, just focus on eating)
    - be planned 80% of the time - then have a break - then get back on track
    - if you can drink with meals now, use the liquid to fill you up after you have reached a certain portion
    - try to make a negative association with eating more and feeling uncomfortable or regretting it - mentally picture where you were and that you don't want to be there again
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I suggest cutting your portions in half. Eat that and add just a little bit more. You'll accustom your sleeve to smaller portions again.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    More ideas
    - make a list of all the reasons you wanted to do this are they still true for you?
    - make a list of all the positive effects of post op life that you may lose if you overeat
    - put a post it note, sticker or some sort of visual cue somewhere, so that everytime you see that, you make a mental note to choose the options that work best for you and your health
    - if you slip up - cut yourself some slack and get back to things right away, don't postpone getting back to the lifestyle you want - live meal by meal
    - if there is only a particular type of food that makes you eat more than you want to or should, can you limit access to it
    - if you are eating out with a supportive person, tell them how much you need to eat and ask them to help you be accountable to yourself. (not someone who is going to be mean or going to tell you to eat whatever you want)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I never mastered eating slowly really. I manage it by eating half of my already tiny portion then stopping. I may even go find something else to do for 10 min. After some time has passed if I want to finish it which is rare, I nuke it and get a couple more bites. Over eating is just too painful to risk.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry- that's a hard place to be, but I like Qski's tips....I'm prone to pushing things too- and have not missed logging/ tracking/ weighing food in 205 days b/c I know that's what it takes to keep on track and not undo all this work. The planning helps too- once I veer off of course, I tend to continue a downward spiral of bad choices. I also remind myself that a bad day can be just a bad day- and does not mean that I can't course correct and still make my goals.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Have you continued with post op suppot groups? If you never address your personal eating triggers you can easily undermine your success. It's not just physical.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are medicating with food. I recommend therapy with someone who specializes in addiction. It is not how or what you are eating, it is why you are eating. If you never fix the why nothing else will work. 90% of this is mental. the surgery, as my surgeon loves to say" is only 10% of your wt loss process"
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tracking everyday is what's helping me. I'm 7 months out now and the desire to eat more has returned even if it's much weaker than before. Checking out the calories before hand and making it fit into the pattern daily has helped curb those feelings. Also concentrating on how you feel while you eat so you don't go past your limit. I throw out whatever I'm eating as soon as I get the full feeling or 2 burps for an audible indicator. In the past I've learned if it's sitting out there, I'll likely eat it. So I get it out of my face as soon as I can.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I second what Ronnie and Mango said! I put off surgery until I had therapy to deal with my issues that led me to being nearly 400 lbs. I knew that unless I got things straight in my head and in my heart, nothing was going to work, not even surgery.