Constipation

Options
authorwriter
authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
If you're not suffering from it, count your blessings! This is prob TMI for people who don't have this issue.

Please, for any of you who have issues with it, please post your solutions. Right now, I have to use an enema to go #2 and I do it on a regular basis. I can't handle the pressure on my back, hence, it's become routine. I'm starting with miralax, because I think the stuff just isn't moving along.

I have a spinal stenosis, aside from my disc issues. The doc thinks it's the reason my toes and the undersides of my feet are numb. I think before the surgery, I ate enough, that stuff got pushed through, but now I don't eat enough for everything to keep moving along.

All discussion welcomed.

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water - and some coffee.
    -
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and spinach are a big part of my diet and it helps.
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling with constipation! Doctor told me fiber, water, water, walk and walk.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Vitafusion fiber gummies2 a day, wendys chili, kale, edamame, kabocha squash, lentils, greek yogurt and lots of coffee are part of my regar diet
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Also protein bars with fiber
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    <3 my Miralax!
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Same problem for me--no matter what I eat----I am going to buy benefiber to add to my food! Beans do not help and fruit smoothies do but they are high in calories. I do not drink coffee---I hate the taste,,,wish I did--LOL
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ducolax once a week. It's the only thing that helps me.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I drink smooth move tea (senna tea) and it seems to help, bad days I use milk of magnesia, stool softeners work but the tea works as well!
  • suzannemichelle614
    suzannemichelle614 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I take something (coffee, lemon water, MOM, colace, miralax...etc) - it works so after a few days of being regular I stop taking it in the hopes that my body has figured regularity out - but NO! I worry about dependency on needing something for regularity. Havent lost any weight in 5 days....that's also the last time i had a bm.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    celery is wonderful. hardly any calories and loaded with water
  • inspireuplift2014
    Options
    Water , gum fiber , quest protein bars , Juice Plus & cod liver oil.
  • dearestbree86
    Options
    i drink HOT green tea in the morning. i make sure to get it all down while it is still hot/warm. the heat/caffeine seems to work. it is also less caffeine then coffee
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Coffee in the a.m. is a huge help. You need fiber, which you won't get much of post-op unless you supplement with metamucil or similar product. Exercise your body. Drink lots of water - more than you think! Most authorities say 64 oz minimum. My MD told me to take my body weight, halve it, and then that number in ounces is my minimum intake. So, if you weigh 200 lbs, your minimum fluid intake is 100 oz. Caffeinated beverages and alcohol count against your fluid intake, so if you drink 8 oz of coffee in the a.m., you are creating an 8 oz fluid deficit, and you need to drink an extra 8 oz to compensate.
  • joyhibbz
    joyhibbz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use Peg3350 pretty much the same as miralax or restoralax but my dr will write me a prescription and then my insurance covers it. My dr said that peg and miralax is all safe to use on a regular basis and I only have to drink the peg in some water a couple times a week now to keep myself regular.
  • authorwriter
    Options
    I've started with Miralax. I've gained 9 pounds in a few days. That doesn't even seem possible. Not with as little as I eat, so I'll presume i'm hanging onto water. My feet are looking kind of swollen. It's all in my belly. But my husband assures me I can't be holding 9 pounds of poop.

Oh my, the discussions we'e been having lately. LOL.

I decided starting tomorrow I am going to get salad and spinach into my diet. I barely eat anything other than the yogurt and protein shakes, so a more normal diet would probably help.

I've picked up the caffeine habit again, but it doesn't seem to help. I don't want to get addicted again, so I'm trying not to do it everyday. Weird how fast you can fall back into it.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting much salad into my pouch these days. If you can't get spinach and salad down because of volume issues, green smoothies are good. You can take a half bag of baby spinach, blend it with some water, splenda and fruit (pineapple, banana and green grapes are good), and it has a ton of fiber. Go light on the fruit (no more than half a cup total), and it is pretty low carb, too.
  • authorwriter
    Options
    I used to drink green smoothies pre-vsg. I tried adding spinach to a protein shake the other day and was really unhappy with the result. I choked it down but decided I wasn't doing that again. I had a salad a couple of days ago. With cheese. It was good.

My pouch is being really weird lately. And nothing tastes right to me anymore. I have some broccoli in the fridge and I'm going to make some tomorrow and eat it with poached eggs. See how that goes.

funny story: my son wants to know if Dad and Mom go out to dinner once a week now that he and his sister are off to college. and I told him 'no' because Mom just doesn't eat normal anymore and dad has successfully lost weight eating cottage cheese and salad and he shows no signs of eating regular food again.

I'll try a smoothie tomorrow also. I'll add unflavored protein powder to it. My nutritionist said never to eat anything without some protein. thanks for the suggestions.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    May a little TMI - Before surgery I was regular everyday. But now if I go every 3rd day I'm happy. But like everyone here says water water water, and try Miralax or others to help you out.
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Miralax added to your protein drinks will work wonders, but check with your doctor to make sure they are okay with it.