Freaking out about first half marathon

Options
alpine1994
alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
My first half marathon is this Sunday. I've been training since July (though I started with practically no base...my first "long run" was 3 miles!). I completed my last long run of 12 miles a week ago. This past weekend I had a short duathlon (run 2 mi, bike 9 mi, run 2 mi) and this week I plan on chilling out and doing one or two short runs. Yet...I am in a full panic. I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking about the race and it's ONLY TUESDAY. I'm having trouble focusing at work too (hence this post). I have no time goal in mind, I just want to finish. I am doing it alone so there's no pressure to stay on pace with anyone. I have done all of my long runs on the course that my half is on. Why am I still freaking out?!

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I was so nervous about my first half I was on the verge of throwing up the whole week I tapered. I had done my training, but didn't have access to the hills that I'd be racing on Kentucky...I was utterly terrified that I wouldn't be able to make it before the sweeper bus.

Trust your training. TRUST YOUR TRAINING. You've put in the work. It's going to be okay. Make sure that you don't shoot out of the gate too fast. Take your time, pace yourself, and it will be okay.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You've ran 12 so you're adding just over a mile to that distance for the race. I'd try not to start too fast so you don't use your energy at first and would simply remember to have fun.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can relax. As has been said above, you have done the training, you have run 12 miles so you will do this. I look forward to reading a report next week about how you did. Good luck and have fun.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's normal to be feeling some anxiety whenever you venture out into the unknown and this half marathon is a first for you so it's entirely to be expected. Don't worry that you are worrying :smile:

Have faith in your training
    I guarantee that if you get chatting to 10 people before the race, you'll find half of them haven't been over 8 miles and most of the rest will have peaked at 10. You've done the work, you are physically prepared and you'll get to the end no problem. You'll also be amazed at how much higher you perform in a race environment than training. It's the buzz of the event, the support near the end and doing the event after a week of comparative rest.

Take control
    I would suggest getting out a pen and paper (or a spreadsheet) and making up some lists.
    - what you will eat in the days before
    - the clothes you need to prepare for race day
    - what your race plan is (e.g. maintain a steady 10min mile pace)
    - what time you want to arrive
    - where you will park etc.

It's a small thing really, but it helps to reassure yourself that you have got everything covered and it's all going to go well.

Enjoy it
    Running 13.1 miles is a huge achievement and one most people will never manage. When you hear the supporters cheering as you get within the last mile or so your heart will soar. You're going to feel awesome crossing that line. It's a very exciting time!
  • alpine1994
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support! I feel better already. About starting too fast (definitely a concern with adrenaline and fresh legs!) I was excited to find out that there are pace groups! I've been targeting around 2:20 in my training so I'll probably run with the 2:30 group for a while and see how it goes. Slow and steady!

Thanks again guys. My boyfriend/family are very supportive but they also haven't been out there at 5:30am pounding the pavement with me so it's hard for them to understand that this is a really big deal to me. I klnew I came to the right place. :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I feel with you and at the same time I envy you! I have my HM on the 16th of November, but my leg started hurting about two weeks ago and is just now better. So I am not sure whether I will be able to run it.

As you have no pressure, try and convince yourself that the only thing you want to do is finish it, in worst case...walking the rest. You have done some long races and as somebody said, you nearly ran a HM already!

Enjoy it!

Best wishes
    Stef.
  • alpine1994
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    I feel with you and at the same time I envy you! I have my HM on the 16th of November, but my leg started hurting about two weeks ago and is just now better. So I am not sure whether I will be able to run it.

As you have no pressure, try and convince yourself that the only thing you want to do is finish it, in worst case...walking the rest. You have done some long races and as somebody said, you nearly ran a HM already!

Enjoy it!

Best wishes
    Stef.

Hi Stef,
    Dealing with injuries is awful. I had to drop out of my first 5K years ago due to a stress fracture in my foot. I was upset but thankfully races happen ALL the time! I just signed up for the next one. If you can't participate in the HM you signed up for, your training will not go to waste! Take some time to heal and then sign up for the next one.

I have absolutely no shame in walking during the race and I am actually planning to walk up two beastly hills! I walked up these hills during half of my long runs and I felt so much better toward the end of the run on those days than when I ran up them. I'm all about avoiding the energy bonk!
    Thanks for the support, and good luck with your HM, whether it's on the 16th or another day. :)
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    You've got a great plan and have done some great training. Good luck and enjoy
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, I was the same with my first and every one since, to be honest nearly better to get the nerves over with early in the week by the weekend they will be done with you will be relaxed and enjoy the race. You have this. ( btw my profile picture is of me at the end of my first race - pure elation, thats me on the left) Enjoy every second of it and make sure and report back and let us know how you got on! best of luck
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, don't worry!!! :) You are so ready. You're going to do awesome. Last year was my first year of running. I ran my first 10k on a Saturday - the next Thursday I registered for my first half marathon, race day that following Sunday... on a whim. I finished and didn't die. You've had waaaaay more training and are super prepared. You'll be awesome! Let us know how it goes!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's just nerves... you'll be fine! When you start to freak out, just imagine yourself running along happily in a great big positive energy environment, and then fast forwarding a couple hours to you sprinting over the finish line smiling like a badass. That kind of positive visualization really helps (personal experience + science say so!).
  • alpine1994
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! Two days! At this point I'm a little less nervous and way more excited. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
  • SKME2013
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    SKME2013 wrote: »

Enjoy it!

Best wishes
    Stef.

Hi Stef,
    Dealing with injuries is awful. I had to drop out of my first 5K years ago due to a stress fracture in my foot. I was upset but thankfully races happen ALL the time! I just signed up for the next one. If you can't participate in the HM you signed up for, your training will not go to waste! Take some time to heal and then sign up for the next one.

I have absolutely no shame in walking during the race and I am actually planning to walk up two beastly hills! I walked up these hills during half of my long runs and I felt so much better toward the end of the run on those days than when I ran up them. I'm all about avoiding the energy bonk!
    Thanks for the support, and good luck with your HM, whether it's on the 16th or another day. :)

Thanks for your encouraging words, very much appreciated!
    Best of luck
    Stef.
  • catchkristi
    catchkristi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good Luck tomorrow - your first half is a great learning experience for sure. There will be things you know made your experience better and things you will never do again. Have fun, look around, and appreciate not just the efforts you made to get to this point (which are impressive) but the efforts of all the other athletes as well, whose sacrifices and tired muscles you can relate to. You are an athlete. You will finish. And you will be part of the 13.1 club. Smile at the finish.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I hope everything went well today! I was a wreck when I did my first half marathon. It is a great accomplishment to finish. I swore I would never want to do another but here I am starting my training all over again to tackle some halfs in 2015
  • SKME2013
    Options
    Let us know how it went! Hope all is well.
    Stef.
  • OldNoobJohn
    OldNoobJohn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Smile at the finish.

That's a critical bit of advice! I looked like something from The Walking Dead crossing the finish line. I was staring up at the big clock and then at my watch. I should have been putting on a happy face for the camera man. :smiley:
  • alpine1994
    Options
    I crossed the starting line AND the finish line! It was an amazing experience. I actually slept pretty well the night before (I think I got all my nerves out in the beginning of the week!) and I just kind of entered a zen-like zone as I was waiting in my corral before the race. My goal was 2:30 because I had been pacing around 2:25 on long runs. I ended up finishing in 2:22 and had so much fun. The atmosphere is so much different in a half than in a 5K. I wasn't tripping over dog leashes and baby strollers and most of the other people running the race had to prepare for it at least a little (I hope? Just agree with me please?) It was WAY colder than I was expecting (low 40s..in TX!) so I got a cheap zip-up fleece jacket from walmart the day before so I could wear it at the start and ditch it when I got too hot, which was around mile 5. After that I was fine in my shorts and tank top. The last 2 miles were tough. My legs just felt so heavy and weak but I kept on trucking. The finish line was incredible and I'm tearing up just thinking about it again! So many people cheering, cameras flashing, my boyfriend standing there looking so proud...so awesome. I may or may not have shed a tear or two. :)

I spent the afternoon stretching and foam rolling and watching the Patriots kick some Bronco's butt. I feel good today except for a little pain in my right knee. I already have my sights on my next half in the spring!

Again, thanks for helping calm my crazy nerves!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a great race! We knew you could do it! :)
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great job beating your goal too. But I have to say BOO PATRIOTS!!!!! My poor Broncos - that was not a pretty sight.