I am newbie!

Options
Hi all! I recently had my VSG on Oct. 24th. I am still in recovery mode as I do not go back to work until Nov. 3. So far everything is going well except for the cramps I have in my stomach occasionally. I am pretty sure it's from gas because they are worse in the morning after I have been laying for awhile. I am using gas-x, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, when did you start to eat cream of wheat, cottage cheese, etc? Last question, can I use splenda at this point? I am really glad I have found this group because I can use all the help I can get! Thanks so much!

Replies

• wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this great group! I am pretty new also. I had my sleeve done on 9/9. As soon as I was allowed to move from liquids I started trying foods that I thought I could handle. Cottage cheese (low fat or fat free) went down easy for me. Also low fat soups worked. I was using splenda in the liquid stage in my hot tea. I think that as you move around more the gas problem will break up---I added you as a friend. Donna
  • Living4me123
    Living4me123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 12..I have specific outlined diet starting with 2 weeks pre-op and post-op for at least the first 5 weeks.
    For me it will be liquids for the first week (phase 1), then only protein shakes for 2 weeks (phase 2) then soft foods and protein shake combo for 2 weeks (phase 3). Then phase 4 is intro to any foods with some restrictions. For the phase 3 the soft foods list consist of scrambled eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt etc..I would check with your nutritionist as to when you can start those foods. Good luck to you, this group is awesome and there is much needed information and support!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hello to all. I am three years out now and totally agree with Living4me123. Follow your own doctor's guidlines and plan. Although we've all been sleeved, each doctor or clinic has their own unique plan and are slightly different from the rest. For instance, some folks on here had to lose weight in the weeks prior to surgery (I did) and some did not. Some had a full liquid diet for a few weeks after surgery, some clear liquids only and some went right to pureed foods.

Congratulations to all! This is an awesome tool and the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • krissyheadrick
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I will be following my doctor's orders for sure, but I can't wait until I can eat some real food! My stomach is still making some really crazy noises when I drink/eat is this normal?
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Crazy noises was very normal for me and sometimes, 6 weeks out, I still get them. If its bothersome I'd talk to your doctor. They might prescribe something to settle it. Hang in there. In 2 weeks you'll feel like a new person.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I still occasionally get stomach noises. Unless it's painful, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Becasue the sleeve removes the stretchy part of the stomach, there's nowhere for any air to maneuver, which is what my theory is on the noise. It's just the air we all get with food and drink moving around in a tight little space.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard too many internal noises, but I make a lot more external noises out of both ends. Lots of burping and gas-passing for me. I agree with Pat that the stomach used to be the gas reservoir and the gas now has nowhere to go.

Rob
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I still get crazy loud stomach noises 10 months out!! Haha! Small price to pay...best thing I have ever done! I suggest walk, walk, walk! Still helps me now, air in the tummy is still painful! Congrats on your surgery!