Marathon Recovery

Options
aj445
aj445 Posts: 183 Member
Hi everyone! I completed my first marathon. Was an awesome race. I loved it. Going in the training had me burnt out and near the end I missed quite a bit due to a couple colds that ran through the house, but I finished in under 5 hours which I was pleased with :) Now I'm looking for tips on how to recover. I've read anything from taking one week off then slowly starting out again to taking a full month off. To not taking any time off but to cross train etc. so many different things to read. Looking for personal experiences on the best way to do it....

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used to eliptical the day after then take the rest of the week easy, I have switched it up to running an easy 5K the day after followed by a rest day. I will take it easy the rest of the week with short 6 or 7 mile runs at an easy pace, no hills or speed work. The week after I will start to get back into my usual routine. Good luck with your recovery and congrats on finishing your marathon.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I generally do nothing the day after other than something to warm the muscles so I can stretch. On the second day I do start running again but EASY and short. By the following week I am back to maybe 6-8 for th "long" day. I think getting out helps the recovery a bit

And congrats on finishing your first marathon!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how much more difficult the effort is for the marathon compared to your training runs/pace. If you run the marathon at around the same pace as you do your long runs, you probably just take a few days off and then start back slowly. If your marathon pace is significantly faster than your long run pace, I think you need more time to recover as you are doing more tissue damage running for that fast for that long.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing your first marathon!

Listen to your body. If you are generally still feeling fatiqued all the time, sleepy during the middle of the day, and just dreading getting up you need some more rest. Especially after your first marathon I would take it easy and recover well. Take some easy walks or swim just to get the blood flowing again.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Thanks for all the tips as well. I'm still sore, but feeling the itch to run. The distance was 6 miles further than I've ever done before, but at a little bit of a slower pace then my pace runs. So I think I'll take another day off then get back to some short runs. I don't think I'd need even a full week off. Yesterday and Sunday I felt like it though lol. Thinking of keeping a couple short runs one long and trying out insanity as my next challenge. Want to be stronger for next year :D