Recovery Time Between Races

Options
The_Enginerd
The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Background: I currently run about 25 miles per week (varies from 20-30 mpw), with an 8-13 mile long run, and did my first 1/2 marathon and a Spartan Beast this year.
My next goal after those two races was to set a new 5k PR. Haven't done a 5k race in about a year.

There is an awesome looking trail half that I just found out about that's 2-1/2 weeks before the 5k I am looking to PR at. That seems like enough recovery time given the information I found in my own research (2 weeks seems to be the recommendation), especially since I'm not out to set a PR at the trail half. Thought I'd ask the more experiences runners here to make sure I'm on the right path given my goals.

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You'll probably recover fine, as your research suggests. But if I were really serious about the 5k I wouldn't do a trail half 2.5 weeks before, because it's not the race itself, it's the lost 5k-specific training I'd be worried about. If I'm tapering for a half, racing a half, then recovering from a half, I've missed about two weeks of quality training time at the exact point when I could have been doing the peak 5k-specific sessions to prepare me for my target race.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Provided you aren't "racing" the half there is no need to taper and your recovery would be the same as if you did a 13 mile long run on trails (probably a day or two). If the terrain is favorable you could even use it as a training event and work in a few pick-ups along the way.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Thanks both.

@litsy3, I hadn't thought about the loss of 5k specific training, thanks. I was thinking of doing it in place of my long run, no tapering or anything, but I would be running it at a fast pace in comparison to my usual long run pace. Kind of in line with what David said.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your level of fitness and current 5k time. Personally, as its my first year running I am still knocking big chunks off PBs at all my distances on a fairly regular basis. At the start of Oct I took 8mins off my HM PB (2:06:24) on a Sunday and the following Sat 54s off my 5k PB (and since taken another 26s off now 25:17). If I was up to running a sub 1:50 HM and my 5k time was near 20 mins then it'd likely have been a tougher ask! Best of luck with both your races :)