Interval training runs

Options
5512bf
5512bf Posts: 389 Member
I've recently decided I want to run my half marathons at a faster pace. I'm comfortable running at a 9:00 min pace and run 25-35 miles a week. I typically do not do any interval training runs but decided after running a 24:14 (7:49 pace) 5k charity run the other day, this winter I'd try to make getting faster a priority. I did a 8x400 session on the track after a 5 min warm up. My first 5 laps averaged a 7:16 pace but the last 3 laps were 8:20 average. My overall pace for the fast laps was 7:40. I noticed my cool down laps progressively got slower and slower as well, partly because I'd hit the water bottle for a few seconds. I could tell I was getting winded by the 250/300 meter mark those last 3 laps as well.

I know it's only 1 session but after all that data, did it appear I tried to come out too fast, or is it common to have slower split times as the workout progresses? Ideally I'd like to be in the 8:15/8:30 pace range for the spring half's. Is a 7:15/7:30 interval run a good pace to train with to hit those goals? Would doing 800m or 1600m intervals be of any value to mix in from time to time?

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes, it looks like you went to hard the first couple of intervals. The goal should be to be consistent throughout the workout. Running intervals alone is tough, I would do them on the dreadmill vice the track to be sure I was hitting the right paces.

Mixing in 800m and 1600m intervals will be good. The Salazar training plans I have used would alternate between "short" intervals (200 or 400s) and "long" intervals (800/1000/1600) every week.