Can Strength Training make you a faster runner? Active.com

Options
derekj222
derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/can-strength-training-really-make-you-a-faster-runner?cmp=291&lyrisid=44334002&memberid=149050306

I've been strength training for over 3 years, running for about 2. I strongly believe that my strength training makes me a better, stronger, faster, more will-powered runner. I do my own thing, I don't run 50 miles a week, even when in marathon training. I run typically 3x a week, 2 short runs, 1 long one. Just like any sport, running, cycling, swimming, tennis, hockey, you need a strong body, you need your whole body to stand strong and for it to work well. I won't ramble much more but this article basically says they don't think strength training is at all necessary. I think the science is lacking, we all know what most elite runners looks like (not to be mean) but most of them don't look like they could lift much without breaking their arms. (yes, that was mean). I understand a lot of would not be helpful as muscle weighs more than fat, but lets me honest, nobody is going to get bulky overnight. I just find it hard to be a runner and lifter because they also seem to be complete opposites. Good luck talking to your runner friends about lifting and most your lifting friends associate running with losing gains...lol...

So who AGREES with me that lifting is essential to become a faster, more efficient runner?

If you don't agree, you're wrong! lol

Replies

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I have a history of lower body injuries. When I perform strength exercises, I take the time to really focus on body positioning and stability; I have a lot more knee pain during/after long runs when I neglect these exercises. My anecdotal evidence suggests that I am better off mixing some strength training to my routine. :smile:
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty much commonly accepted that, given the relationship of stiffness of a spring to it's dispersion of forces upon impact, we know that a stiffer spring conserves more energy into its trajectory and less is lost as it hits. The leg acts like a spring when you run. If you lift and strengthen that spring, make it stiffer, you will lose less energy with each foot strike.

Plus I am positive there are a bunch of studies showing running economy improvement with weight training added...iirc Matt Fitzgerald talks about a couple in his books.