Getting in the habit of throwing away food

Options
2»

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy: the tip is based on the bill but you really need to factor in that you are taking up a table in the servers section whch could cost them. If you normally tip 15% I would give 20%
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    If I listen to the physical cues, I will not gain 100 pounds back. My body is not the enemy--it will not lie, and will not lead me astray. I just have to learn to listen well.

So true! A lot of times we aren't truly hungry. And everyone is different so you need to determine what your body is telling you.

I rarely get "hungry". For me it's "head hunger", that "want to eat" even if I'm still kind of full from a meal or even simply not hungry. And it can sometimes be thirst, masqurading as hunger. My tummy doesn't growl or anything physical that lets me know I'm hungry. I have to decide if it's real hunger based on when I ate last, what I ate last and when did I last drink.

But Thaeda is right. For most people our bodies will tell us when we need to eat, we just each have to find out what our "you need to eat" cue is. Kind of like finding our full cue in reverse. :)

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    DJRonnie, as I explained the way we have always tipped is based on what the "actual" total would have been if it hadn't been for a coupon/deal.
    We typically tip 20% based on what the charge would've been as I still got the food and it was still brought to me (service)!
    Of course if all they did was fill up my drink and I was the person filling up my own plate then we just leave a few dollars on the table for their effort(s).
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I was mainly curious about how people went about eating in restaurants post-surgery!
    I will be starting my 3rd week on Fri so I have yet to step back into a restaurant...maybe in a couple weeks when my food choices have expanded some...who knows :neutral_face:
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When i go out I order something like a sandwich and just take the bread off the top and eat the inside with a fork or I order chicken breast and eat it for three meals. I have found that waitstaff will ask me if my food is ok and I just say that its great but that I just had surgery so I can't eat much and ask for a to go box. I think we are much more aware of what we are leaving behind on the plate (because its so unusual for us) than the waitstaff is.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I know this is kind a side discussion, but unless the service was awful, I always tip 20% based on what the bill would have been before any coupons/discounts/shared food. Many years ago I worked as a waitress. My daughter is a waitress now. It is HARD work and you get next to nothing for an hourly rate. Also, please consider tipping more if you stay at the table a long time--- low turnover = less tips. :)
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    I was mainly curious about how people went about eating in restaurants post-surgery!
    I will be starting my 3rd week on Fri so I have yet to step back into a restaurant...maybe in a couple weeks when my food choices have expanded some...who knows :neutral_face:

I order a protein-based appetizer or split something meat-y with a table-mate (I avoid obvious carbs like the plague). I eyeball the food on my plate and decide ahead of time how much I am going to eat of what is on my plate, and then I don't eat more than that, and take the rest home.

There are a lot of good choices, even at chain or fast food restaurants. Check out the nutritional menu online before you go and figure out ahead of time what you will order, what the nutritional profile looks like, and how large the serving size is. Then log your planned food into MFP before you go. That is how I found out about Chili's grilled shrimp skewers, which you can order ala carte (no sides), and which are all protein, low cal and super yummy. At Wendy's, you can get the baked chicken breast filet on its own. At Ruby Tuesday, they have a ton of low cal and low carb side dishes that you can pair with simple, grilled proteins. Plan ahead and you will do fine!! :smile:
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always just order off of the seniors or kids menu and if the restaurant won't allow that, I'll pick off of my husband's plate. I also ask for a box as soon as my food comes.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You know what is really cool?? My food expense is going down!! I get two or three meals out of one. :D
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Yeah, no kidding klcovington!
    It takes me forever to get through my food(s), I feel like Im little again being left at the table while everyone else is done and has moved on...lol!
    1/4 c of anything in the past would not have satisfied me at all and now I look at a small pan of soft cooked beans (or whatnot) and think "goodness, I hope that doesn't go bad."
    My husband puts in his "effort" if foods start getting close to its end date and its still in the fridge...what a guy :wink:!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Before surgery I was a peanut butter addict. Loved the stuff. I recently bought some to add back into my diet because I have been trying to increase my calories a bit. I bought some single serving packets from Sprouts which were super convenient and I loved the portion control. No problem. I bought a jar of peanut butter from Trader Joe's the other day and it just did not work for me. The old brain wanted to grab a spoon and head for the jar. The new brain decided not to tempt fate and I threw the jar away. I am not willing to risk getting into it with a calorically dense "slider" food. I am totally good with my decision. I would rather lose a few bucks than potentially slide down a slippery slope. It's hard to get there though, I think we were all taught not to waste food growing up, but when it's for the greater good, I have no problem with it!
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You know what is really cool?? My food expense is going down!! I get two or three meals out of one. :D

LOL! So true here too!
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Before surgery I was a peanut butter addict. Loved the stuff. I recently bought some to add back into my diet because I have been trying to increase my calories a bit. I bought some single serving packets from Sprouts which were super convenient and I loved the portion control. No problem. I bought a jar of peanut butter from Trader Joe's the other day and it just did not work for me. The old brain wanted to grab a spoon and head for the jar. The new brain decided not to tempt fate and I threw the jar away. I am not willing to risk getting into it with a calorically dense "slider" food. I am totally good with my decision. I would rather lose a few bucks than potentially slide down a slippery slope. It's hard to get there though, I think we were all taught not to waste food growing up, but when it's for the greater good, I have no problem with it!

Very good choice! Sounds similar to me, the other day craving chicken salad and was at Costco. They have the best chicken salad but only in a big container. Walked right by it! Then I saw a Good Food brand portion sized made with Greek Yogurt. Got them! Know with the small amounts portioned out it will be much better.