daily calories?

Options
First off, Hi I am new here, and fairly new to MFP and weight loss in general.

Ok, between MFP and other calculators, for my size and life style, to lose 2 lbs a week, It says I should be eating between 2770-3200 calories ( I chose MFP because it was the lowest). To me that still seems like a LOT of calories to be eating. I am trying to lose 300+ pounds within this life time.

Right now, most days, I am having a hard time convincing myself to eat between 1000-1200 because I fear that anything over that is going to make me gain wait.
also, after reading peoples posts in the regular bored, makes me feel as if the walking and everything I have been doing is not really burning any calories. Though I would think going from no exercise at all to walking and moving around for an hour would amount to something.

Anyway, I guess all I'm looking for is reassurance that the calories given to me is a normal amount to eat and still be able to succeed.

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    If you have 300+ to lose… your calorie goal is absolutely normal and in line with healthy measures. I had 201 to lose when I first joined MFP and my calorie goal was over 2000 and I was very sedentary. I didn't count calories at all for the first month (before I joined MFP)… just tried to "be careful" so I didn't sabotage anything that I was able to do at the gym. And I still lost 14 pounds the first month.

With that much to lose, you will find that any little effort that you do will cause you to lose weight. So, don't be worried that eating that much will make you gain. Your body burns calories just to keep yourself alive and breathing. I don't know what your stats are… or what your health issue may be... but chances are you are burning WAY more than 1200 calories just staying in bed all day!

I would highly recommend that you eat at least 1200 on a regular basis. Don't go lower than that. But if you are full… don't feel like you have to stuff yourself to the point of misery just to reach your calorie goal. With that much to lose, your body can probably handle a larger deficit without causing problems. If you are hungry… eat. If you feel weak, light-headed, low energy, or more tired than usual… you probably should eat as well. But if you feel good and you have the energy to exercise or do those thing you want to do… then don't feel like you have to stuff yourself just to get to 2700 calories.
  • sysof
    sysof Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have well over 250 pounds to lose and set my calorie goal at 2000 per day, which is still way below what they say I should eat. Some days I do go over, but as long as I go over with healthy food, I consider it a triumph.

My BMR (basal metabolic rate - what I burn just living) was somewhere around 2800 calories when I checked it last.

Aiming for 1000 - 1200 at these high weights I think is setting up for failure almost. It's hard to eat that little and feel great, in my opinion. This shouldn't be torture. But that's just my opinion. I don't know the health pros or cons to going WAY under your suggested calories.
  • kimmers100
    kimmers100 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My BMR (basal metabolic rate - what I burn just living) was somewhere around 2800 calories when I checked it last.

- Was interested in knowing how you do this or where you get it done?
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you Google basal metabolic rate, there are calculators for it online. Keep in mind that if you're starting out with a lot to lose, cutting down to too few calories (i.e. 1200) right away may cause your body to go into starvation mode (not to mention making you feel so hungry that you might not stick with your plan). Calculating your basal metabolic rate is a good starting point so that you know roughly how many calories you're burning daily just by being, and then you can add in for exercise, etc. Everyone's different, but I know for myself that I have to run at least a 1,000 calorie a day deficit between what I'm eating and what I'm burning to lose weight. Hope that helps and good luck!! :)
  • kimmers100
    kimmers100 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, that makes sense, i will google it and find out what it says for me!