Question about macros and PCOS

Options
Hey there, I was officially diagnosed with PCOS early this year. I started really tracking and sticking within my calorie allotment - which, as usual was only kind of helpful. I've been reading the posts here (and than goodness this board exists, I have SO many questions!) and I want to change to a low carb, high fat, adequate protein diet for at least a few months to see if there is a difference. I'm in LOVE with carbs - but something has to change!

Anyway, my questions is - what should my carb/fat/protein goals be? I want to start this out right so I know I'm doing my part.

Also - PCOS sucks. I'm 34 and my physicians in the past have treated my individual symptoms and told me to lose weight for the last 10 years! I'm glad to know there is a reason I don't lose weight on 1200 cals and 1hr of exercising 4-5 times a week. But it also just pisses me off. And I know people (my old doctor included) don't believe that I'm actually trying to change.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I cant find the thread in this group anymore, because of the new group changes but try http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10003230/advice-on-setting-goals-and-proportions-of-carbs-fat-protein#Item_8 where Dragonwolf talks about the macros that usually work for PCOS.

Thankfully you are already aware it is a Low Carb/High Fat/Moderate Protein diet, NOT a Low Carb/High Protein diet like people often mistakenly think. Getting enough protein is important but too much and you take away from your fat percentage and that isnt good nor is it sustainable. Get enough sodium during this transition too.

I am sorry your doctor didnt believe you either. We've all been there. Thats how i found out i had insulin resistance, i tried so very hard and never lost a pound. Still finding a balance is a struggle as it seems our bodies like to mess with us and change up what they want/need at a whim. But it can be better controlled and managed with diet being a big part of that.

Welcome to the PCOSis board fellow Cyster!
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Alliwan, thank you! It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this! I'll check out the link - I'm glad to be here!!