guess this food

Options
peacehawk
peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
Guess what food this is, and if you can, suggest a way to enjoy it. Add your own pictures for the rest of us to guess.

I'll start with something delicious from my garden.

px4q2gcvdpq4.jpg

Replies

• Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!Rainbow chard. Steam and add soy sauce and lemon :)
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Beautiful!Rainbow chard. Steam and add soy sauce and lemon :)

Yes! Just finished blanching and freezing it for winter.

Never thought to add soy sauce and lemon. I'll have to try it :)
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Here is another beauty from my garden.

Can you guess?

5bibnmkyo3wo.jpg
  • Surfingbodi
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Red beats?

Actually I really like adding a Tbl of mayo as well as spirulina but thought the mayo might be sacrilegious to some :s
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    hmmm. I don't think they're beets. Maybe a type of radish? I tuned some beets into soup and added Greek yogurt. 0% of course...seems to be a reoccurring theme with my food these days but that's b/c of the extra protein it contains. I'm trying to get used to the plain b/c the fruit flavoured variations are soooo good. In a sweet and junk-food kind of a way. But I digress...
    Hurry up and tell us, Peachhawk! What are they are what do you do with them?
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    wow beet soup with greek yogurt!?! i'm sold! thx WWnot.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    They are beets! these are Choggia Beets. They are so beautiful. It is amazing how many varieties there are. I get my seeds from the Fedco catalogue. They have an amazing variety of all things seed. When we canned these, all the beautiful purple color disappeared. they came out a weird light tan color. I'm not sure if that color came from the added cinnamon and cloves, or if they would end up that color on their own. We took them to a pot luck, and they looked so weird I didn't think anyone would try them. People politely took one or two, then were practically racing each other to the buffet to hoard more! They were a definite hit. I am bummed about the loss of color though. I will be canning more in the next few days, and mixing them in with Detroit Red Beets. I'm hoping they will turn a pretty light purple this time.

My favorite way to eat beets is grated raw onto salad.

I just saw a recipe for beet soup in Eating Well magazine. Is it sweet, like cooked beets?

Does anyone else have some beautiful or unusual food to show off?
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    I had a beautiful pot of veggies yesterday I made broth and soup with. Should have taken a pic! Will try to catch something beautiful today!
  • peacehawk
    Options
    :)
  • WWnot
    Options
    Aha! They're beets! I'm going to start looking for interesting beets; I was only aware of the usual and common red and the less common yellow beets. Beet soup is sweet and that's why the yogurt or sour cream is added. It provides a balance to the sweet by adding the tanginess. And the colour is so gorgeous.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    I'll have to try it :)
  • peacehawk
    Options
    lump4en1l5u7.jpg
    Here is another. they grow in the woods and are not lillies of the valley, even though in this picture their leaves look the same. I actually have a very limited number of these that I transplanted to my yard. If you have a favorite way to fix them, let me know. I haven't made anything with them yet. I wanted to get them cozy enough to spread out first. I would especially like suggestions on using the leaves so the bulbs can continue to grow and multiply.

Can you guess what these are?
  • WWnot
    Options
    I don't have a clue but they look beautiful. if this is a recent photo, the leaves are doing well in the cooler temperatures. Very curious.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    No idea?!
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Hints: the photo is from early spring. This plant does not flower. It has two different common names. There is a big festival somewhere dedicated to only these (can't remember where). They taste kind of like garlic or onion. They are very rarely grown as a crop and at risk of over harvesting.
  • WWnot
    Options
    Still no idea. The suspense is building... And once you tell us, we'll be saying "of course, I've heard of those!" ;-)
  • peacehawk
    Options
    They are Ramps, also known as Wild Leeks.
  • WWnot
    Options
    i've heard of ramps as something people foraged for in the woods and i didn't know that they referred to wild leeks. I've never seen them though. Until now. They don't look anything like cultivated leeks and seem to be more tuberous. Same taste? thanks for the challenge. :-)
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    uggh! i feel like i should have known that but i really have no idea why :p
  • peacehawk
    Options
    They taste closer to garlic. I've only ever nibbled a leaf though. they do normally grow in forests. I transplanted some from the woods by my sister's house, which she transplanted from the woods from her cabin up north. I would eventually like to plant an edible forest in my back yard, and these are part of that. We already have black walnuts, apples, mulberries, jostaberries, black raspberries. So far, I've also added some strawberries, ecchinacea, 4 types of mint and ramps. so far, the dogs have dug up some of the stuff, and the other stuff is slow to thrive. Money has been short, so I haven't added anything else for the past year. I've been focusing more on the vegetable garden.40klj3uczwlr.jpg