Update on my Match adventures

Options
I have 13 days left on my Match subscription. Definitely NOT renewing. I have had a few men email me .. but most of them are honestly too far away. I have had two that were about 55 minutes away .. which I could deal with. We exchanged numbers and then poof .. they were gone. One got really sexual really fast .. like before we even spoke on the phone and when I didn't play along he disappeared. The other one .. he would text me sporadically and then just stopped.

There was a super cute one that I winked at and was shocked that he responded to me .. we messaged on the site for a couple days and then one day he didn't answer me back, so like a day later I messaged him and just said that if he wanted to just be friends we could do that because he was really funny .. and he answered me back .. "what kind of "friends" can we be ;) " .. so I said never mind .. good luck to you.

Disgusting. So .. I think I have looked at every profile out there and have clicked the interested button on everyone I could possibly be compatible with and nothing. I guess I know why I am single. I'm over it. I will be single forever and I just need to accept that and find something to with my life. :'(

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Sounds horrendous. If it's any consolation, a few years I met 4 freaks on the spin off Match.com. It put me off dating for nearly 2 years.

Try POF? I met someone I really connected with on there <3 It didnt work out, but hey, that's not the fault of POF!

• Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You're a beautiful girl. Somebody worthy of you is bound to come into your life. :-)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I can totally relate. I think you should try the free sites (PoF, OkC) or apps (Tinder, Skout, Meetme, etc.) though. There are creeps there too, but more people tend to talk on free sites, so don't give up yet!
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Are the apps anything worth checking into? I have heard a lot of people make fun of Tinder saying it is a meat market. Not that I mind meat .. lol .. just would like a little conversation first .. lolololol
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Tinder totally depends on where you are............worth a shot, though!
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I actually met new guy on Tinder....only guy I ever met from Tinder. There was one other that I had talked to for a while, but he is the only one I ever met, and hey, it worked out!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I agree with Moe, they are at least worth checking out for a short time. There's a meat market vibe on all of the sites to a degree, so what's the difference really?
  • Jennifer10723
    Options
    Good point. lol
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Tinder is very easy to weed through the ones looking to hook up as they are more honest about it then on other sites. It is free and easy to set up so no hurt in trying it.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. . It didn't used to be this bad.. but I hit 45 and it all came to a screeching halt!.. I thought about giving up entirely, but instead, I'm just going to have to find a way to actually meet people in person (which is not all that easy b/c I'm not a joiner and I'm not a drinker (anymore) and I'm not an extrovert). . But jeez! I gotta do something!. . I'm starting to get set in my ways. I'm concerned I won't be capable of dealing with a girlfriend expecting me to spend time with her and stuff!

But I guess my point is that it's easy to let a lack of success on a site like match.com be discouraging (as it has been for me), but don't give up! (Although everyone keeps telling me that as soon as I give up, that's when I'll find her. . But I've given up like 12 times and it hasn't happened so I'm not sure I believe this anymore. . )
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. . It didn't used to be this bad.. but I hit 45 and it all came to a screeching halt!.. I thought about giving up entirely, but instead, I'm just going to have to find a way to actually meet people in person (which is not all that easy b/c I'm not a joiner and I'm not a drinker (anymore) and I'm not an extrovert). . But jeez! I gotta do something!. . I'm starting to get set in my ways. I'm concerned I won't be capable of dealing with a girlfriend expecting me to spend time with her and stuff!

But I guess my point is that it's easy to let a lack of success on a site like match.com be discouraging (as it has been for me), but don't give up! (Although everyone keeps telling me that as soon as I give up, that's when I'll find her. . But I've given up like 12 times and it hasn't happened so I'm not sure I believe this anymore. . )

Have you tried Tinder Cam?? As Ruth said, I think it's easy to weed out the hook ups and the freaks, and just get talking to someone you 'click' with.

And I think you have to keep trying, like forever!! A couple got married in their 90's here this week, so you're a young chick my friend :D

• Cameron_1969
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hahahaha. . Tinder. .yeah. . well.. I've had exactly ONE match in the last two months and she immediately sent me a picture of her butt, then asked me for money.. I keep swiping though!. .Call me an optimist!
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Hahahaha. . Tinder. .yeah. . well.. I've had exactly ONE match in the last two months and she immediately sent me a picture of her butt, then asked me for money.. I keep swiping though!. .Call me an optimist!

You're kiddin? You're a good looking guy!! Have you got your viking gear on in your pics?? lol
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    I've tried every pic I have of myself (none great, but some not horrible). . should I try the viking pics.. can't get any worse!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I've tried every pic I have of myself (none great, but some not horrible). . should I try the viking pics.. can't get any worse!

Yes, try the viking pic! You can see your face and it shows you have a sense of humor!

• Cameron_1969
    Options
    No matter what they say or how they try to advertise themselves, dating sites are all about looks. The uber-hot people get a ton of activity and everyone else gets very, very, little . It's probably not a bad for guys because women are more apt to give a guy with a strong personality a chance, even if he isn't a perfect 10 with a six-pack.

There are other kinds of dating services. I haven't ever used one b/c I think they're expensive, but I may try one someday when I'm SURE I'm ready for a relationship. . These are the kind where you sit down with a professional and they interview you and then try to match you up with other clients. .I don't know if these work, but i expect they get a little deeper than just bathroom selfies.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I disagree Cam. I think it's all about how you write your profile AND what pics you show.

AND what you say to make contact.

Like I say, you're a good looking guy, so I'm pretty sure it's not your looks. Mind you, we're talking about beards in another forum, and not all women like them!!!! Any pics without the beard you could try?
  • Jennifer10723
    Options
    Agreed Anna .. I don't message guys with beards. I always picture food and stuff being stuck in them. lol
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    No matter what they say or how they try to advertise themselves, dating sites are all about looks. The uber-hot people get a ton of activity and everyone else gets very, very, little . It's probably not a bad for guys because women are more apt to give a guy with a strong personality a chance, even if he isn't a perfect 10 with a six-pack.

There are other kinds of dating services. I haven't ever used one b/c I think they're expensive, but I may try one someday when I'm SURE I'm ready for a relationship. . These are the kind where you sit down with a professional and they interview you and then try to match you up with other clients. .I don't know if these work, but i expect they get a little deeper than just bathroom selfies.

I've tried one of these and spent over a thousand dollars on one. they don't use pictures but they did take a snapshot for themselves. they take in-depth information about you and what you want in a match. HOWEVER... it seems that they don't even USE IT!!! UGH! of the four people that they've matched me with so far only ONE of them have met my criteria! sooooo friggin frustrating! they tried to match me with 5 but one never called me or returned my call, so that's a wasted match. I have 10 with their service. So if you were to ask me right now, NO they are NOT worth it! Oh, and the one that matched was the guy from March that isn't into me but calls me pet names so technically, he's a dud too! So unless within the next five they set me up with is a winner, my advice will be to SAVE YOUR MONEY!
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Yikes!! $1000 is a LOT of cash. :| But you never know, within the next 5 may be the ONE!! :D<3