Scale Victories, Non Scale Victories, Meat Smorgasbords.

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Well last Sunday the 2nd was my birthday so I thought it was time to check in with my goals.

What a difference 214 days can make.

I had set myself some goals when I started, not ones I was invested necessarily in making but more so I could see how my progress was going. Of course one of them was a birthday goal. 214 days ago I set myself the goal of weighing in at 239 lbs for a total of 89.8lbs lost by Nov 2nd.

I am happy to say I meet my goal. As of last weigh in I am 237.4lb (from 328lbs) for a total of 90.6 lbs lost.

A couple of years ago I made a stab at getting back into shape and loosing weight. I wanted it but like the majority of those attempts it wasn't going to happen. I wasn't focusing on the whole picture and hadn't really made the commitment to myself. The whole family signed up for a gym membership after my fathers last surgery and I worked hard at it but their was no diet aspect to the working out so unsurprisingly it fizzled out (one can only vomit in a gym bathroom so many times before you start making excuses not to go. How many ways can I apologize to a janitor with my sympathetic eyes as I stare back at him hunched doubled over a sink). That was probably the last time I stepped on a scale and while I don't remember what the number is I do remember thinking how unimaginable it seemed to lose 100lbs. The shear amount of time it would take.

But here I am, 216 days later and 90lbs in and I nearly missed it happening. A number that once seemed so unimaginable ends up feeling like it just sort of happened. And I haven't vomited once for it.

It's good to remind myself some times how far I have come since it can start to feel a little to routine and I have noticed myself becoming more complaint (can I blame it on the weather).

So I will take this moment to celebrate. Being another year older, being 90lbs lighter and x100 times healthier and happier.

For my 27th the family hoped on a train into San Fransisco and we did a wonderful family bike ride to Fort Point at the bottom of the Golden Gate bridge (would have loved to cross the bridge on my bike with them, but I had hoped to not kill my father, his addiction is marathons not bikes). On the ride home I also hit my 1,000 mile mark. 70 bike rides, 1006.19 miles, 87:31:11 hours of riding.

And since it has been requested I post a picture. Sorry, no before pictures partly because I can't find one and also because I rather you all know me as I am right now.
mi3yocegebm5.jpg
pm9rly2yyr7i.jpg
ppremq7vctfk.jpg

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    WOW!! This is so impressive!!!! I can't even explain. I'll have to really absorb this and formulate a full response later.
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    What a great story! I can feel your pride, and it's well deserved! You're very handsome, there Pat. I hope you know that.

Happy Happy Birthday! And, wishing you many more to come.

Caroline
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Glad you are where you wanted to be Pat. It is amazing how long it has been, it feels like forever and then not any time at all. You look good, (love the yellow jacket :wink: ) and you sound like you are in a better place in your head as well as in your health and that is just as important. Big birthday hugs x
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That is great! It is amazing how far you have come and the attitude you have towards it all. I am also happy that the thousand mile mark came on this memorable ride. Once again, great job and I look forward to seeing where it takes you in the future.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! Thank you so much for posting this. I really needed to see this today. I am having a really hard time with losing lately and seeing you succeed and meeting one of your goals reinforced that it can be done. Thanks!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Pat, sending you cyber hugs for your birthday on Sunday. Thanks for the visual. It helps keep everything in perspective and gives a great pic of what you've achieved. 1000+ miles on a bike.... WOW... I am so impressed. You are doing an amazing job. I wish you many more years to come and happy and healthy times.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Pat, this is all so fantastic! What a wonderful set of accomplishments. You've worked so hard to get where you are, and it's really paying off.

Happy belated birthday, and you look fantastic!
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    First off, happy belated birthday my friend!!! Second, a huge congratulations on all of your accomplishments - 90 pounds lost!!! 1.000 miles on the bike!!! Your progress has been nothing short of awesome. I am so excited for you. You look fantastic. I'm so glad you finally posted a picture, it always helps when you can put a face to a name. You are such an encouragement to me.
  • shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What an impressive story. Congratulations on meeting so many of your goals. Your successes are an inspiration.
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! What a great accomplishment.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and wishes. I am always very thankful for finding a great group of people I have meet here.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You look great Pat. And well done on all your milestones you are tumbling
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Great job, Patrick :). I enjoyed reading this so much, its great to actually see who we talk to all the time. Such an amazing journey we are all on but also what a great way to share your journey with your family. For you to have found something that is "exercise" but has become a true love for you appears to have been world changing. Your effort and dedication is inspiring. Makes me jealous to not live in an area where I could experience the world around me on a bike...Mine would be very hard to do with no sidewalks and lots of cows and farmland surrounding us lol.

Keep it up, friend. You look amazing!