Your Protein Numbers...

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
I was wondering what your protein intake was before surgery, what you were really able to get yourself to get in after surgery and where its at now?
I actually did struggle with getting an adequate amount of protein before surgery, when I initially started the process for the surgery.
I worked really hard at keeping the #'s up while still getting my fruits and veggies in.
I know that 70 is the lowest of what they want (before or after) but now that my stomach is not nearly the size of what it was, is this expecting a little much right off the bat?
When I had my 1 week post-op appt and honestly told her that it was a lucky day when I could hit 50, I was pretty much reprimanded which had me feeling bad leaving the office.
I will start my 3rd week on Fri and now its a lucky day when I can get somewhere in the high 50's.
My next appt is on the 24th and I doesn't really matter what I say at that time because I will be having lab work done so Im worried.
Its funny how all this is suppose to help us w/ our obsession(s) with food yet that's all that comes to mind anymore....what can I eat that will stay down and has a high protein punch :confused:
This really wasn't the picture I envisioned for life after...I just wanted to eat enough to feel satisfied and have a clean healthy life, not feel tormented on a daily basis.

Replies

• gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can usually only get in 40g of protein/day. On a really good day I'll have 60g. I told my nut and she said at this stage (7 weeks out) that's quite normal. But if you can stomach protein powder, it's definitely worth adding it to your meals/drinks to get a boost.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I didn't track protein pre op but I'm gonna guess my intake at about 25g. Post op, I've been compliant, exceeding 75g most days (after the first few weeks). I start my day with a scoop of whey in my coffee, (prefer coffee this way now) and 1 egg with a slice of cheese. In the afternoon, I usually add a protein bar (powercrunch or quest) as a snack. The rest I get from food. Early on, I sipped Nectar Iced Lemon Tea pretty much all day. Labs have been perfect and recovery speedy. Hit goal within 9 months and have been maintaining for 4. Didn't lose hair or feel tired past week 2. You CAN get it in! You just need to find a way that works for you and commit to it. I firmly believe my compliance (with protein, supplements and exercise) has been a big contributer to my success. This is the life we signed up for when we let them cut out 80%-90% of our stomach. We still gotta do our part!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I didn't track mine pre-op either, but will guess it was 25g or less each day. Post-op we started at 40 and it increased with each visit. Now I'm told 70-80 grams (3 years out) and I average that, some days more, some days less. If it's a huge struggle for you, try adding an unflavored protein powder to your food. You can add it to anything that has a broth to it or is really moist. I used a lot of that in the beginning. I also used Isopure Zero. With 40+ grams of protein per bottle and it's water so counts towards that goal too, it really helped me get in my water and protein in the beginning. I use the Isoprure now when traveling or when I'm in meetings all day and can't just eat when I need to.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like Im around where I should be....even if "their" expectations are different than what my body can handle just having had the surgery 3 wks ago.
    This situation had me thinking the other night...I know there are people from that office who have had WLS but w/out going around directly asking, I wouldn't specifically know who (this is just what we were told)!
    So, the thing that came to mind about this lady is she's in the wrong job.
    "If" she's had WLS, shame on her for trying to push me into doing things that my body cant tolerate right now and especially in that 1st week out when my choices were slim for getting 70-100+ protein.
    If she hasn't then she cant relate and should Not be trying to force me into forcing myself to consume so much when Im simply not able to at this moment!
    This is how babies start off, drinking from small bottles an graduate to bigger bottles because eventually they can tolerate more in their systems.
    She seems to hold me to a higher expectation and seems to think I should've gone from having my insides cut down in size and yet still act like its normal size to accommodate like my old ways...not happening here, or at least not right now! :neutral_face: