Hip strength & PFS

Options
BrianSharpe
BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
Here's an interesting article that I came across that seems to contradict conventional wisdom......patellofemoral.completesportscare.com.au/biomechanics/hip-strength-risk-factor-patellofemoral-pain/#sthash.0rRk9GEq.7eOWVOXC.dpbshttp://

thoughts?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I read the link you originally posted and it lead to two more links which I plan to read over lunch.

I have/had PFS. And as it was corrected with PT, my PT realized that mine not be from my hips but from my ankles. My ankle pain got worse as my knees were fixed. Who knows tho, I'm a ball of broken.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Interesting indeed. I picked up on their idea that pain can be in the brain. Some times when running I get soreness in the knee, and I found that if I run on the opposite side of the track/road the pain goes away. So now whenever I get sore I just change sides and I'm fine. This is probably because I believe it will be fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting, and I was especially struck by the bit about gait. I saw a PT after a knee injury (MCL, due to stepping on a rock and twisting it at the end of a 10K, I think), but had had ongoing knee issues before then that I just wrote off to being at the time substantially overweight. The PT identified my hip issues/weakness immediately, and I remembered that when I'd been running a lot before I'd had to work on that and it had helped a lot with both hip and knee pain, and I have been working on strengthening my hips and glutes since. But even more significantly the PT looked at my running form and pointed out that my stride was too long (being short I traditionally tend to overcompensate by trying to lengthen my stride when attempting to run faster), and I think it's been working on this that has helped the most. Whenever my knees start acting up I try to focus as hard as possible on shorter strides, faster cadence, and it usually helps enormously.