Doing things differently

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
So... I have been at the same weight for about a month-- even with pretty "clean" eats and regular exercise. My MO would be to find another diet or crazy thing to jump on to get to my goal weight that is still 15-20 pounds away. In fact, I had a friend of mine offer to share a plan her low-carbing son used when he got "stuck". She gave me the guidelines and as I was preparing my lunch for work today, I thought I would give it a go. But something inside resisted. Something inside said "this is not for you right now"-- and I listened. You see, I have had decades of jumping from one diet to the next (with the requisite binge-fests in between) and it has been absolute madness. In large part I had this surgery to eliminate that cycle.

When I had surgery, I committed to doing a lot of things differently--- changed how I ate, made room in my life for exercise, practiced more positive self-talk, and on and on. I am committing to doing yet another thing differently. I am NOT jumping on the "next thing" food-wise to see the scale numbers go down. Instead, I am going to spend some time in the next week meditating, going inward, and asking my body what is the right thing for me at this point? Maybe I need to keep doing what I am doing? Maybe I need to make a shift? Regardless of what I choose, it will be because I spent time listening instead of operating from fear ("What if I never lose all of the weight?" "What if I gain it back?" and on and on). I do not know about anyone else, but when I operate from fear, my decisions are not usually very good ones. ;)

So listening... yes... that is what I will do. And I will continue to trust my body's inner wisdom to guide me to perfect health.

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am all about listening to yourself and not reacting out of fear (YAY!), but please be cautious about letter your body guide you to perfect health.

For me, at least, that is how I got into trouble in the first place. My instincts about food choices are not the good kind ("me want cookie!"). I am not the only one! (Read: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/ - it is a little harsh, but not directed at you, but instead reflective of my own issues).

I had the same issue that you are having with a prolonged stall post-op. It is really common. After being stuck for weeks, I went to the nutritionist, cried "help me!" and asked her to give me a meal plan with concrete daily nutrition goals (she said 80+ grams of protein, 50- grams of carbs, approximately 1200 calories per day), so that I knew what I needed to work toward each day. It helped immensely. It is really the little things that add up and make a difference.

I would recommend that you go back to your medical team and get feedback. Even if you are completely correct and your instincts are spot on (because your internal monologue don't sound like an episode of Sesame Street), it is good to have validation. For the cost of a copay (hopefully it is not too pricey for you), it is a good investment in your health.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Great post Thaeda! I'm stalled again, in fact up a couple of pounds up from my lowest. I too struggle with fear that I won't go any further down and wonder if I need to change something up. But I, like you, don't want to go back into that crazy cycle of trying everything looking for that "cure" or perfect program. I'm staying with my sleeve plan, continueing to work the food plan and exercise and I keep reminding myself that this will not fail me if I continue to work it. There's nothing else out there that's worked before. Yes I may need to tweek it a bit, more protein, less calories, more water, more exercise. But I will not go back to the pre-surgery insanity. This is it for me and I have to stay faithful to it and myself.
  • Thaeda
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kate-- thank you for the link. I am very familiar with low carb living (and LOVE it, BTW!). I think what I meant to say is not to trust every craving or whim-- but to take the time to meditate. To ask inside what is health for me, and then follow that. I am a firm believer we are intutive creatures and when we learn to trust our intution, it offers us good guidance. Also, the article seems to be talking about early on in LC living-- before blood sugar and cravings and such have stabilized. Certainly at that early point, one would do well to stick to a set of guidelines until the "furor" settles. :)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thaeda, I am really enjoying your recent posts that allow us to see a lot of the introspective work you are doing. I'm not sure I can be that touchy-feely with myself (get your minds out of the gutter! o:) ), but I try sometimes.

My future plan for a stall when it happens (not a few days stall, but a longer one) is to try to shake it up within the plan. Either have a couple of extra days of exercise, perhaps a couple of day intensity increase, or a food shakeup, going back to first couple of week diet, or something like that. Who knows if it will work, but it will give me something other than the stall to focus on!

Other than that, I find a lot of good advice out in the main forums about a critical re-examination of your food diary to make sure the logging is still accurate and that there are no systemic extra calories that have crept in. And a realization that we have already lost the 'easy' pounds and the last ones will be more stubborn.

Good luck and keep up your insightful posting!

Rob

63741332.png

• authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well, my surgeon keeps us on a low-carb, high-protein plan for as long as we'll put up with it. Adding carbs increases hunger and cravings, she says, but most people are dying to add back bread and waffles and whatnot. Me? I have to agree on the high carbs. I've always lost better on a low-carb/high-protein plan and I made the decision to not add grains back in. Maybe once in a very long while.

In the end, it's a matter of food choices and you're savvy enough to know that even though a donut might fit in your sleeve, it's not the best choice of what to put in there. Your upside is that you'd really have to plan to overeat and do it consistently to undo the good your sleeve has done, but sounds like you're at the point when doing it more the old-fashioned way will get you through those last pounds.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Well, my surgeon keeps us on a low-carb, high-protein plan for as long as we'll put up with it. Adding carbs increases hunger and cravings, she says, but most people are dying to add back bread and waffles and whatnot. Me? I have to agree on the high carbs. I've always lost better on a low-carb/high-protein plan and I made the decision to not add grains back in. Maybe once in a very long while.

In the end, it's a matter of food choices and you're savvy enough to know that even though a donut might fit in your sleeve, it's not the best choice of what to put in there. Your upside is that you'd really have to plan to overeat and do it consistently to undo the good your sleeve has done, but sounds like you're at the point when doing it more the old-fashioned way will get you through those last pounds.

Good points authorwriter! I tend to not eat what I grew up calling "starchy" food (potato, rice, pasta, bread, etc.). If I'm going to get all my protein in each day, there really isn't a lot of room for carbs. At 3 years out, yes I have had a bite or two of pancake/waffle, donuts, etc., but that's about it. Those things just don't appeal to me much anymore. Now if you are talking bagle? Well that's a different story and also why I don't eat them but maybe once a year.

But again, you are right! We need to pick and choose what we will put in our small tummy and if it's not going to benefit our journey, then really, what's the point of wasting what little space there is with that item. It's all about eating mindfully.

Pat

• Thaeda
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Thaeda, I am really enjoying your recent posts that allow us to see a lot of the introspective work you are doing.

Good luck and keep up your insightful posting!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks-- I am posting a lot about these kinds of things because for me, THIS time, THIS journey is about working from the inside out. I have done every diet known to man. I have exercised for hours, I have read books and articles and researched and strategized and on and on.... I was determined that this time around things would be different--- and focusing on that "inner" connection has been a crucial part of my progress.

That being said, certainly there are strategies to "tighten things up" as you outlined so well--- I appreciate the tips. :)
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Pat & AW.... I love lowcarbing-- it was often my diet of choice and I do not usually gravitate towards bread/pasta/rice-- it really is the most natural way of eating for me. Pat-- Like you I often stop to think if I am getting the must nutritive bang for my space-filling "buck". Good stuff. :)
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thaeda! Love your posts. They really reflect things that we can't all put into words.

Thanks!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    MistyHiker wrote: »
    Thaeda! Love your posts. They really reflect things that we can't all put into words.

Thanks!

You are most welcome. I am glad some of what I write resonates with you. :)