Any low back injury folks lifting?

Options
vendygirl
vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
I have a session planned with my trainer to show me the correct form etc for a lifting program and to show me alterations if that is even an option.

I was just wondering who else out there has had a low back injury and is lifting? (I have herniated disc at L4-L5, well it is getting better obviously) I will probably be just starting out with the empty bar and slowlllly be adding weight as I do have a very weak low back and this is one way I know to help keep that strength constant.

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't think I had anything that serious, but I've had 3 major back issues within the last 2 years (I have a vertebrae that is "twisted & tilted"). The first happened after sitting in a fold-up chair for an extended period of time at my daughter's softball game. The second happened when I ran from 1st to 2nd base in my own softball game. I had to get a cortisone shot for that one, and the third happened after attempting a deadlift with too much weight and improper form.

For all 3 injuries, I saw my chiropractor 3X/week for a few weeks and then gradually backed off to 1 time a week. I don't go now unless I feel things tightening up again to the point of being debilitating (spelling?). I struggle with lower back pain every day, but honestly, lifting has only HELPED. After my back got better from the last injury, I avoided deadlifts but kept up with a full body heavy lifting routine that included compounds and accessories. I have noticed that to keep my back strong and hurting less, warming up beforehand and stretching for a long period afterwards has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I cannot stress the importance of stretching enough. Between lifting and stretching, I have had no further injuries.

My advice would be to start very slowly, learning proper technique. Warm up beforehand and stretch afterwards. The best stretch for my situation is where I lay on my back on the floor, bend one leg and cross it over my body so that the knee of that leg touches the opposite side of the floor. I try to keep both shoulders touching the floor. Also, anything to strengthen your core is important, but doing lots of compound lifts will do that.

I am now able to deadlift again with little to no back pain and a 1RM of 155#.
  • mimiyo1980
    mimiyo1980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stretching post workout (your muscles must be warm) has changed everything! I took about 8 weeks out to build strength, stamina and flexibility where my back is concerned and can now say that I am pain free (where I was in absolute agony before). My 2 favourite post training stretches are 1) on my back, knees in to chest and lift my nose/forehead to be in between my knees. I am not a physio (I was taught these by a PT tho) but i breath in to the stretch and relax in to the pull/stretch/light pain. 2) on my back, kees stacked on one side, arms out at about 80degrees, head in the oposite direction...count to 10, lift your top let so that your hand meets your foot and stretch it out. Slowly release and do the same the other side.

Good luck :0)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Lifting will help with back problems, as long as you make sure to never lift more than your core can support.

My lower back and abs are/were super weak when I started lifting, so I've structured my yoga routine to support my lifting routine, and I'm very cautious about increasing weight. Proper stretching and warm-up are tantamount.

My back is doing a ton better than it was before I started lifting. Easy does it, though, and you have to be an absolute stickler with form and tighten up your core before you move that bar around. Use a belt if you need to.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis and what I thought was chronic lower back pain. Lifting is the only thing that has ever made a difference. (Hours and hours of "ab and core work" did nothing - lifting heavy for 4 months sorted it right out.) Take it slow, get the form right, and don't go above what your core can support, and you'll be fine.

ETA and talk to you doctor, or ideally a doctor who knows a bit about the benefit of sport rehabilitation :)
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One day down! Go again tomorrow. The trainer showed me modifications to certain moves (I am doing the program in the back of Nia Shanks Commandments to losing fat) which my trainer said is a great plan to start with for lifting. My goal is to finish that and move on to 5x5. Deadlifts are my biggest concern. Back is feeling cranky today but I think that is just from sitting. I'll be sure to gauge how it is tomorrow.