Strength training anyone?

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
Folks,
I need to get back in the gym. I have a shoulder issue for which I NEED to work on building some muscles. I did go that route last year, joined, got a personal trainer and worked for a few months but all I got to do was squats,lunges and some free weights and work on machines. We never got to a point of having a schedule because I hurt my shoulder. Now I need to start again. I'm terrible with strength training but I really want to have a routine. Last yr, my focus was weight loss, now I'm maintaining so focus is building muscle. My trainer has no idea on what kind of program suits me. She just gets me to do random stuff. What do all of you do? I read about starting strength and it looks interesting but I'm not sure.
Btw, I'm 5'3", 115lbs(on a very good day), eating around 2000 cals a day, running 20 miles a week, Zumba 2-3xweek(love to dance but willing to give up for strength).

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Howdy,

I love lifting and what it's done for my body and my running. I'm in a bit of a personal funk in regards to lifting but I'm hoping to bust through it shortly.

Strating Strength is a great book to read (I haven't read it yet but I own it) and there are plenty of programs built off of it. Like Stronglifts. And Blaha 5x5 is built off of Stronglifts.

Stronglifts is really simple. It's 3 compound lifts per workout with 2 rotating workouts. It's easy to learn and do without a trainer which is why I'm suggesting it. Your trainer sounds like one who needs to go back to school and learn more before taking more clients.
    There's a group on MFP for Stronglifts (Stronglifts 5x5 for Women - men are welcome). The group is better than the SL website since Medhi, the creator of SL, is a douche IMHO.

Another good book to read (and I've actually read this one) is New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't particularly care for the program since it gets complicated after the first Stage and was just a pain in the *kitten* to deal with at the gym I was at. Plus if you work out at home, there are a lot of substitutions in the back of the book. I've heard good things about the other "New Rules of Lifting" books as well but I haven't looked at any of them.

There's Strong Curves as well. Has a full body program and a lower body specific program. I looked at it and with some of the lifts/exercises, I'd do that program at home instead of the gym since your butt is in the air for a couple of them.

Nia Shank's Beautiful Badass. I haven't done it but I've had a friend or two here do the program and they enjoyed it.

Jamie Eason's Livefit I think is the name. You can find that on bodybuilding.com
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Can you find a different personal trainer? I work out with one three times a week and he adjusts my workouts depending on what my focus is at the moment.

ETA: He also coordinates everything I do in my off time (running, swimming, biking, cross-training, etc.), not just in my sessions with him. He's kind of a rock star, honestly.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I strongle suggest New Rules of Lifting for Women....its got stages that make you progress slowly to lifting more. Its very easy to follow and 3 x week. I am currently following but still on stage one (16 workouts for stage 1) and i really enjoy it
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.
    603reader wrote: »
    Howdy,

I love lifting and what it's done for my body and my running. I'm in a bit of a personal funk in regards to lifting but I'm hoping to bust through it shortly.

Strating Strength is a great book to read (I haven't read it yet but I own it) and there are plenty of programs built off of it. Like Stronglifts. And Blaha 5x5 is built off of Stronglifts.

Stronglifts is really simple. It's 3 compound lifts per workout with 2 rotating workouts. It's easy to learn and do without a trainer which is why I'm suggesting it. Your trainer sounds like one who needs to go back to school and learn more before taking more clients.
    There's a group on MFP for Stronglifts (Stronglifts 5x5 for Women - men are welcome). The group is better than the SL website since Medhi, the creator of SL, is a douche IMHO.

Another good book to read (and I've actually read this one) is New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't particularly care for the program since it gets complicated after the first Stage and was just a pain in the *kitten* to deal with at the gym I was at. Plus if you work out at home, there are a lot of substitutions in the back of the book. I've heard good things about the other "New Rules of Lifting" books as well but I haven't looked at any of them.

There's Strong Curves as well. Has a full body program and a lower body specific program. I looked at it and with some of the lifts/exercises, I'd do that program at home instead of the gym since your butt is in the air for a couple of them.

Nia Shank's Beautiful Badass. I haven't done it but I've had a friend or two here do the program and they enjoyed it.

Jamie Eason's Livefit I think is the name. You can find that on bodybuilding.com

Thanks for suggesting the group and also for the reading lists. I will definitely look into everything you have said. Thanks a lot for the video link. I now know what technical terms I need to use with the trainer. I just joined the MFP group for strong lifts. I have had great success with MFP groups for couch to 5k, 10k and anything running related so I'm sure this group is going to be a great resource. Without all those threads and sticky threads on the running groups I would still be stumbling around trying to find my way.
    Laura6887 wrote: »
    Can you find a different personal trainer? I work out with one three times a week and he adjusts my workouts depending on what my focus is at the moment.

ETA: He also coordinates everything I do in my off time (running, swimming, biking, cross-training, etc.), not just in my sessions with him. He's kind of a rock star, honestly.
    You are right about the trainer. She cancelled on me twice this week and it isn't the first time she is doing this. I'm going to ask for a new trainer. I'll probably work with my husbands trainer. He is a great guy and very responsible with his time commitments. She doesn't seem to be interested in anything I want to do outside of her arena.
    jstrun wrote: »
    I strongle suggest New Rules of Lifting for Women....its got stages that make you progress slowly to lifting more. Its very easy to follow and 3 x week. I am currently following but still on stage one (16 workouts for stage 1) and i really enjoy it
    I will read this book! Thanks a lot for suggesting.