Women's running hats for the cold

Options
skippygirlsmom
skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
Can someone recommend a good warm hat for running for the winter. I would like something that has a pony tail hole in the back too. I see a million hats online and just not sure what is the best way to go. Also if you have gloves you love. I have a nike pair which I like a lot but I think as it gets colder I might need something warmer. thanks!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Check out the Underarmour ones.
    I prefer wearing a headband but that's because I overheat really easily
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I like the Brooks gloves with the little magnets by the wrist; helps keep them together when I'm not running and they are easy to find in the dryer. I also have a pair of "convertibles" that have fold-over mittens, I only wore those for SUPER cold (teens or lower) days.

Nike makes a heavy hat that has material similar to the UA cold gear that is good for when temps drop below freezing. Warmer than that and it is to warm. I do not know if they make a version with a ponytail hole.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    UA hats (yes plural). If you run more than one day in a row, you'll want more than one so you don't have to wash it every time. Same with gloves. I think I have 5 hats and about 7 pair of gloves of different weights.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Thanks! I've been wearing a Nike headband and I like it but I think when it gets below 30 I'm going to want a full hat. I'll check out UA.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I love my trailheads ponytail hat, but like Carson said, you need several. For gloves i actually go as lightweight as possible. I have a couple of pairs i picked up from City Sports.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a snood, which I vary position depending on weather.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    thanks everyone! I agree on having more than one of everything.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    I usually don;t wear a hat, but when it is extremely cold I will wear a facemask
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a couple bondi band ponytail hats that I love. They have all different colors and designs too. Keep in mind though that I don't live in a very cold place. So I don't know how good they would be in real arctic air.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I heat up pretty quickly...got my own natural lathers of insulation going on still...so i'm not a fan of thick hats. I do however love my lululemon hat with the pony tail hole. its the same material as their head bands so not very thick, but i find it keeps my head warm when running in -5 degree weather...if its windy, I use something of the similar type of material that you can convert into many things including a face mask...can't remember the name of it though, i bought it at the running room. it was pretty cheap as well $25.

Good luck!
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    and by lathers i meant *layers*
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    I brought a UA hat and wore it today for the first time - it was 32 when I ran. Love love love it. Had a hole in the back for my pony, comfortable and stayed in place the whole run. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something you like. Now go buy two more so you can rotate them :wink:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I brought a UA hat and wore it today for the first time - it was 32 when I ran. Love love love it. Had a hole in the back for my pony, comfortable and stayed in place the whole run. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Is there a way you can post the link to this item? I have a UA facemask that I use during deep winter months but I'm looking for a beanie/hat. Thanks so much
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Glad you found something you like. Now go buy two more so you can rotate them :wink:

I actually did buy two but I will get a couple more now that I know I like them LOL

runner475 wrote: »

Is there a way you can post the link to this item? I have a UA facemask that I use during deep winter months but I'm looking for a beanie/hat. Thanks so much

Let me see if I can find them online, if not I'll look at the tag when I get home.

• skippygirlsmom
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    For a hat I like trailheads. I have a head band and my husband has the hat and we have never had a problem keeping warm. They have various styles including headbands and hats with ponytail holes if needed.

For running gloves I have Pearl Izumi wind mitts and they are great. They are a regular fingered glove and have a windproof mitten you can pull over the fingers for extra protection. When not using the wind proof there is a little pouch they can be tucked into.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    mamarundrc wrote: »
    For running gloves I have Pearl Izumi wind mitts and they are great. They are a regular fingered glove and have a windproof mitten you can pull over the fingers for extra protection. When not using the wind proof there is a little pouch they can be tucked into.

I'll have to check the gloves out. I have nikes and don't like them.

• TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Take a look at these ponytail hats...

http://www.bondiband.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1829
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options