I just have to say it (Calories burned during Jazzercise)

Options
kistockman
kistockman Posts: 80 Member
Yes, I just have to say it: there is absolutely no way I burn only 280 calories during a whole hour of Jazzercise! I burn about that much during the first 3 songs.

I know I need to get an hrm to get a more accurate count. Because I'm on maintenance, I'm not really willing to spend the money on an hrm. I'm maintaining pretty well without. Though I do wonder where MFP gets their calories burn number for Jazzercise. Anyone know if someone at MFP has taken a Jazzercise class in the past 5 years?

I just had to rant a bit. I went to a great Jazzercise class this morning and I grumble each time I track it here. In fact, I almost hate to track my weight loss because I know it will decrease calories burned even more as a result.

Replies

• iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had never checked on MFP for calories burned in a Jazzercise class, but I wear a HRM. MFP gives me 366 calories (I weigh about 130). According to my HRM, I average 380-410 calories/one hour regular class. Since I would burn a certain number of calories during that hour if I was not doing Jazzercise, I never count the full amount shown on my HRM.

I take a minimum of 5 classes/week and have been doing this for almost 14 years, so my body may be somewhat used to it because that is all I burn doing 100% high impact. If you think your body hasn't been that conditioned to it, I would think at 105 lbs., you burn more than 280.
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your profile. My name is Kathy, too. I also lost to goal at WW and made Lifetime. I have lost an additional 18-20 using MFP.

I'm older than you (64) and always say I want to be the oldest person to go to Jazzercise. I think the oldest person at my center is 76. She is a former ballet dancer and a lovely lady.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The oldest one at our center is 84!! I adore her. She comes in all made up and wearing some chunky jewelry some days too. :) I always say it's these women I strive to be when I am older. Really, all of the women at Jazzercise are so beautiful. :)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I had to give my HRM up because it too was gettting old - it was telling me that I burned only 200 calories and then it was telling me I burned 1,000 another time! At 170 lbs, i"m usually in the 500 -650 range depending on my intensity level.

I'm sorry to say but you may just have to invest in a new one. I know the more you weigh, the more you have to burn. And I don't have a clue what someone weighing 105 lbs would average as a calorie burn at Jazzercise, but YEAH - SOUNDS TOO LOW!
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I started Jazzercise I was 70 pounds heavier than I am now. I got my HRM after losing around 20 pounds and my burns were between 400-600 calories a class depending on the instructor and routines. Now that I'm in maintenance I average 350-400 calories a class so I agree the more you weigh the more you burn. I paid about $60 for my HRM on Amazon last year but my sister found one on Sears.com for $40. If you're really concerned about an accurate burn count if may be a good investment. Happy Jazzercising! :flowerforyou:
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM everyday at Jazzercise. I go moderate to heavy. I burn on average 250 calories a class. I leave sweaty. I know I have slow metabolism to get this low of a burn. I also have been going to classes on and off for over 10 yrs . I think someone people just don't burn as much as others.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM every class - I do high intensity but am still 60 pounds or so overweight. I regularly burn 700 - 800 calories in regular class, sometimes more. When I do a regular Jazzercise class and then follow it immediately with body sculpting, I burn close to 1400 total.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    LOVE doing a combo with Body Sculpting, too!
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I see it has been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, but I just joined the group and wanted to chime in! My heart rate monitor is my best friend at my Jazzercise class, and after the final song everyone comes up to me and asks how many calories I burned. My Jazz fitness center has 7 different instructors, and some have much easier classes than others. The fewest calories I have burned is 393, the most is 664. (I'm 5'8", 141 pounds for reference). If you Jazzercise and don't have a HRM, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you get one!
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit at Jazz and I know its 100% accurate since it is a pedometer, but yesterday I burned ~400 at moderate intensity.
  • Tubby140
    Tubby140 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make a friend!! At least 2 people (one usually being the instructor) have some kind of a heart rate gadget. A lot of gals in my class use the Polar pt4. After the stretch, everyone discusses their burn. If you're not going to spring for your own, why not just take an average of what everyone else burned? Not so accurate. . but you'll still have a ballpark idea?