Muscle strain/tear...what to do?

Options
Pangea250
Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
I have finally admitted it today...I strained my quad muscles, both legs. I did a Zombie Mud Run 1 week ago, and the constant break-into-a-sprint to get around the zombies did me in. I haven't been able to run all week. I think I've probably re-strained both muscles maybe 3 more times this week just doing mundane things, like getting out of the car too quickly or messing around w my friends doing a little dance.

When I sit in a chair and lift either knee upward just a touch, the pain/strain that I feel for about 3 to 4 inches in the center portion of my upper thigh is pretty intense. It feels like even that little motion risks perpetuating the injury. If I want to cross my legs, I pick my thigh up with my arms and pull it over my other leg.

I'm at 157 lbs now, down 77 lbs, 27 to go to my goal. Running is my preferred exercise. With how my muscles feel, it is out of the question. Even a workout video would not be do-able.

How should I treat this injury? How long can I expect to be out of commission? How will I know when I can go for a run again without risking re-injury to the same muscles? Should I see a doctor, or is that just a bit ridiculous?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    See an orthopaedic doctor.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    If you are still in that level of pain a week later, I agree that it may be time to see a doctor, even if it is just to verify that you do not do anything worse then a strain. The inflammation may be bad enough that you need something to calm it. In the meantime, Ice and anti-inflammatory (IBproferun or similar) may help. Fingers crossed that your recovery isn't too long.